Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The number of stitches?

Posted by gemini40 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 5, 09 at 16:22

Can you explain to me if a pattern for crocheting afghan calls for pattern of 16 plus 2 chains...to determine the width I need,do I just calculate 16 chains then 2 all the way across until I reach the desired width. I am so used to knitting instructions that tell you how many stitches to cast on..this is new to me just seeing the pattern stitch requirements.

junne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The number of stitches?

Gemini40, the wording of your post confuses me just a little bit. I'm not sure if this will answer your question or not, but here goes. Typically, at the end of a row of crochet, you are told to chain 1, 2, or sometimes 3. This will be considered your first stitch on the next row (when you turn). If you are doing single crochet, you will chain 1 at the end of the row, then turn. You have a choice (only with single crochet, not double, half double, or treble) to either skip the first single crochet of the row and count the chain 1 as the first single crochet, or you can still single crochet into the first stitch. If you are being told to chain 2, then you are probably going to be making half double or double crochets on that row. And you will skip the first stitch of that row, counting the chain 2 as your first stitch.

If your question refers to a pattern that covers 16 stitches per repeat, you would chain a multile of 16 stitches for the width you want and then chain 2. You would not make a chain 2 for each pattern, only once at the end of the row of chain. Does that make sense?

o

Thanks so much...I didn' t really explain it properly. Your last sentence is exactly what I meant clarification on. I thought you chain 16 then chain 2 more then 16 , then 2.... now I understand..so the pattern is 16 chains. then 2 at the end for turning. I think I've got it.

june

o

Happy to be of help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here