Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanting to enlarge a sweater pattern?

Posted by suebdoo (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 08 at 15:45

Hi everyone:

Last year I struggled with tight tension.
I eventually found the right size needles to accommodate.

Now, my dilema is: I have many, many patterns for fair isle sweaters. All done on circular needles (which I love). My problem is that the sweater sizes go up to a standard 46-48 inch chest.

My aunt has asked me to make one for my cousin who is considerably larger. 56-58" chest.

Changing needles (not an option) would make a larger sweater, however, I would like this sweater to be thicker and warmer.

Does anyone know how I might enlarge an existing pattern?

I am totally at a loss. You know I see lots of people with big fairisle sweaters and often wonder how they get them to fit when the patterns don't exceed an X-large.

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanting to enlarge a sweater pattern?

Your best bet, even though you have many patterns already, would be to buy one in the size you need. Especially with the desired sweater being a fair isle.

Tami

o

Tami, Thanks so much for responding, however, I have not seen the fair isles, nordic knits, Lopi sweaters in a size larger than an XL. I am totally at a loss.
I don't object to buying new patterns at all. It's just where do I find them?

Sue

o

Well, if you jump the yarn and needle size, you will end up with a bigger sweater, but you will have to make the necessary adjustments for the length, which will also grow. The first sweater I ever knitted had a Fair Isle yoke and although the directions specified sport weight yarn, I knitted it in worsted. I was 5'2"/110 lbs at the time and the sweater ended up fitting my DH who was 5'10"/180!

However, a search of "Plus size knitting patterns" turned up this site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Plus size patterns

o

Damascusannie I want to thank you for that website link. I found that they offer XXS patterns for men and I have been looking for a sweater that was sized for that with out having to sit down and figure out the math for reducing a pattern

o

damascusannie, thank you so much for the terrific Plus Size pattern link. I guess when I do a search, I give too much information and come up with nothing!
Thanks again.

Sue

o

I'm glad I could help--I was just lucky I think!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here