Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size needlles do I use

Posted by imabest (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 15:37

To make socks for women ????I want to buy the bamboo circluar needles in 24" but dont know what size
I know you all will know!!! Thanks for any help Imabest

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size needlles do I use

also what is your favorite yarn for socks????thanks again

o

I don't think the 24" will work for socks. Too long. Get some dpns. I like to use shorter ones. I use size 1 or 2. The patterns often call for bigger needles, but as someone here advised, that gets me a very large sock.

o

My favorite sock yarns are Sockotta (cotton blend) and Trekker (wool).
Annie

o

The 24" bamboos will work, as long as you have 2 of them. If you're thinking of doing magic loop with just one circ, then you're better off going longer. That is just my opinion of course. I prefer using two 16" circs for socks. And I love to use any of the sock yarns that have just a bit of stretch in them. I love Skacel Trampoline.

o
needlle size

I forgot to mention needle size. I have used size 1's, but I just don't feel like I'm getting much done very quickly. I usually use 2 or 3. Of course, your yarn will dictate the needle size to some extent.

o

I use two 24" circ aluminum size 3 for my socks. Right now, I am working with yarn called On Your Toes. It is 75% Bamboo, 25% nylon. Machine washable/dryable and super soft!

Rebecca

o

Ima, I use size 2's. Usuallly about a 36 to 40 inch circular. I hate double points. I always drop them or pull them out of the stitches. I have done magic loop for years. For my fat calves, I cast on 72 stitches, then when I get to the ankle, I decrease to 68 or 64 stitches to finish the socks. So far I have liked almost all of the sock yarn I have used. there was one brand I had for DD's socks that felt sticky while knitting, but I can't tell you what it was.

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here