Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'breaking yarn'?

Posted by vicki_il (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 23, 06 at 15:24

I'm a REAL newbie to knitting - only wish I was as half as good as I'd like to be! :) Anyway, I was wondering if the term "breaking yarn" is the same as cutting the yarn? I've seen that term on several patterns and was unclear about it.

Also, I took a knitting class on a lacy-stitch vest - did wonderful on the back but now that I'm doing the sides and decreasing at the armholes, am completely lost and discouraged. I can't seem to get it right no matter how many times I take out and try again. I know that the instructor was getting frustrated with me but not nearly as much as I was with me!

I have finished a top-down sweater for my DD that I'm pretty proud of - now just need to block it.

Thanks for any info!
Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'breaking yarn'?

Yes, it means the same thing. But it sounds like they just want you to pull the yarn until it breaks, doesn't it? Of course, this would stretch the yarn and make it limp, so don't even think about it. Some patterns use this term when they are advising you to change colors.

o
RE: 'breaking yarn'?

It is easy to decrease, though there is more than one way to do it depending on the effect you want. What do the directions say they want you to do? Perhaps we can help you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here