Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_loomis

My first Baby Surprise Jacket

donna_loomis
15 years ago

I finally found the "right" buttons and got them sewn on and pictures taken. The photos really don't do the buttons justice. They are glass with "aurora borealis" type glitter inside them. It was really fun to make and I have started another for my grandson, Exaiden. His is in black, gray, and black/gray variegated.

Comments (16)

• profsusan
    15 years ago

Congratulations! I know that you wanted to make this for a long time but kept putting it off. It is still on my off list until my knitting gets better!

Not surprised about the combination for the next one - as I recall, your daughter likes those combinations for her son.

Nice job!!!!

• starvingartist
    15 years ago

Oh Donna it is gorgeous!!! I love the colors :)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

It is really cute. I love your yarns. I am still trying to find some yarn in my stash to start one with the new needles I got for my birthday. They make a great baby or toddler jacket or sweater. I have not made the collar on any of them, but your collar looks great. Will have to try that too.

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susan, I say you should just go for it. It was actually one of the easiest things I've made in a long time. It just looks so strange that you are wondering how you are ever going to get a sweater out of this oddly shaped thing.

Sheila, I think this was a yarn by Caron that is no longer being made. Translation: it's from someone's ancient stash and I bought it at a garage sale a couple of months ago.

I wanted to make one first before beginning Exaiden's and this was the yarn I chose. I took it to church last Sunday and ended up giving it to the associate pastor's wife for their daughter Rachel. Of course, it will be several months before I get to see her in it. It's a bit warm here.

• profsusan
    15 years ago

not quite the same but the yarn looks similar to Watercolor (Red Heart's Super Saver) that I used last year for a pillow. They have some bold ombre yarn that I like to use for slipper socks - currently making a pair in Mexicana (because I couldn't find Bananaberry). These would probably make nice BSJ but I still like Simply Soft for baby sweaters here in the northeast - soft and warmer than baby yarn. They have some nice bold colors if you want to buy instead of use the stash. My stash goes down a bit and then I always add more to it!

These are the small projects when I get tired of the afghans. Since I finished DIL's Michigan one, am now working on the NY Jets for my son. Birthday is in September but gift will be late........

Maybe I'll tackle the BSJ in the winter.

• suebdoo
    15 years ago

donna_loomis, - Oh, what a beautiful job you did on the sweater. It's gorgeous and such pretty yarn!

Sue

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I checked the band and it is Caron Wintuk Crayons Ombre.

• socks
    15 years ago

Lovely! Beautiful work!

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago

Donna, the sweater is beautiful! How long (number of hours approx.) did it take you to make it?

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It took me about 10 hours of knitting.

• Lindsey_CA
    15 years ago

Good to know. Thanks!

• pepsi41
    15 years ago

Is there a crochet pattern for this?

• donna_loomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Actually, there is.

Here is a link that might be useful: crocheted baby surprise

• Vique_Pa
    15 years ago

That is beautiful, you did a great job on it. Vique

• pepsi41
    15 years ago

Thank you, Donna, for the link. I crochet more than I knit, but the knit version is much prettier. Thanks again.

• profsusan
    15 years ago

Donna - thanks for the crochet link. Now I don't have to try to convert it myself :-)
    still working on the Jets afghan so this is still pushed off but now at least I can crochet instead of struggling with my knitting!

Sponsored
More Discussions