Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! How to block baby blanket

Posted by thelmalee (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 14:33

I have crocheted a baby blanket and need to know how to block it. When I hold it up by the corners it sags badly in the middle.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! How to block baby blanket

Some things can't be fixed by blocking, but many can. You should completely wet the blanket, then lay it on a large towel (or another blanket if a towel isn't large enough). Then roll the towel and baby blanket up together. Press down all over the towel to remove as much moisture as you can, then lay the blanket on top of another dry towel and stretch the blanket to the proportions your want and leave it to dry. If, after the first washing, it reverts to the saggy baggy middle, you may want to consider steam blocking the blanket. If there aren't any large textured stitches, like popcorn, you can spray a section of the blanket, then lay a towel over that section and use your steam iron to set it. Be very careful not to actually touch the blanket with the iron. Repeat with more sections of the blanket. This will "kill" the piece. Once you have set it this way, it will retain that shape.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here