Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandra_ferguson_gw

cheap online yarn

sandra_ferguson
15 years ago

I haven't ordered from this company as I just saw it advertised in the back of a knitting mag I looked at this morning, but, believe me, I'm ordering this afternoon....the prices are fabulously cheap, and they offer known brands.

http://www.smileysyarns.com/ happy surfing!

If you want to wait till after I order, I'll be sure to post what the 'experience' is like.

Comments (13)

• jjknitter
    15 years ago

May not be as cheap as you think. You probably have to
    pay shipping and handling costs. Might be cheaper to
    purchase yarn at the local store and besides when you
    order on line, you have to wait for it!! That is just
    my opinion.

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I can get $16.0/skein wool yarn for $2.00, THAT should be considered cheap in anyone's book! I've always had good luck ordering things from the net, and the wait has never been more than a few days.....there is just so much 'out there' for the ordering - certainly much more than is available to most, locally. Hopefully, this will be another good experience!

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Sandra, I have ordered from Smiley's a few times. The minimum order is now $40, but the last time I ordered it was $30. I seem to remember that shipping was about $10, and if you divide that by how many skeins of yarn you are purchasing, I think you will find that this is still a great deal! They do have well known brands, but the color selection is somewhat limited. I have never been disappointed with Smiley's yarns. I say go for it.

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I ordered enough fabulous looking bulky weight wool yarn to make 2 long sleeved sweaters..and, enough sock yarn for a couple pairs of 'wild' socks for our daughter......shipping was, I think, around $12.00 for about 38 skeins of yarn. I can hardly wait to get it!

• chrizty
    15 years ago

wow thanks for the info!! i put it in my favs:)
    living out in the country i like ordering on-line.:) ill pay just as much in gas as i would for shipping, its one thing when i have to go in town for food shopping but have to make a extra trip to go across town to wallyworld or johanns, n smiley's is cheaper! so i might save lol
    it would be nice to stock :)

• Dash2
    15 years ago

I used to live within driving distance to the Smiley's store. I've been dealing with them for over 20 years. They sell good quality at great prices.

It used to be more advantageous to order online. Then they changed the policy. You used to be able to order any amount of yarn. Now it is a minimum of $40. Shipping is $12 no matter how much or how little you buy.

I've gotten away from keeping large amounts of stash on hand, so I don't order from them nearly as much as I used to. But, you have no reason to worry about them as a vendor.

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I ordered the 1st, and here it is, the 6th, and my goodie box from Smiley's has arrived....can't beat the service and the wool yarn is VERY nice...so, I'm pleased and would recommend it to anyone...I'll sure be ordering again!

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting the site, and for following up with your experience. Now I know that I can add Smiley's to my bookmarks.

Annie

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm now on the track of cheap bamboo needles...I recently bought some double pointed ones, locally, and like the feel of them.......I'll let you know how things go on the 'needle trail' later....I love bargains, don't you?

• Vique_Pa
    15 years ago

I don't like to order yarn over the computer or out of books. I am afraid it may not be as soft as I am used to. I did try some cheaper yarn years ago to make a sweater. The yarn was not as soft as the European type and the sweater stood out away from my body. That won't happen again. vique.

• sandra_ferguson
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Smiley's doesn't have cheap yarn......they have yarn that they sell at a low price, which is different from offering a cheap product. What I bought is carried by my local yarn shop, for a whoppin' $16.95/skein....and, I paid $2.00 for the same thing! I did order some wool yarn from China, on ebay, for an unbelievably low price...will let all know what I think of it when it arrives- it was so cheap that I don't mind taking a 'chance'..who knows - it may be great.

• Vique_Pa
    15 years ago

$16.95 a skein!!!! Oh my gosh, I would have to sell one of my kids, and right now I think I know which one it would be. Vique.

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

Vique, LOL (about the kid!)

Annie--been there, done that, seven times

Sponsored
More Discussions