Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy Knit Placemats?

Posted by pepsi41 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 11:30

Can someone direct me to a site with knit placemats that are easy? I am self taught and am very slow but want to make some as a gift. No cables or anything too complicated for my feeble brain!!

Pepsi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy Knit Placemats?

Hi
Here is a lot of placemat patterns.
Hilite and add to site address

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/placemats.php

Good Luck
Dolly

o

Thanks. Have already looked here and nothing interesting. Thanks though!!
Pepsi

o

Pick an easy stitch from anywhere (one color, two color, the houndstooth is nice). Cast on an extra 10 stitches over the amount of multiples the pattern says. Garter stitch (straight knit stitch) the first 5 rows, and the first and last 5 stitches in each row, and finish with another 5 rows of garter. In between do any stitch you like until it's the size you want it. You are making a rectangle with a garter border. Use a storebought placemat to fit it against to see the right size. You can practice all kinds of different stitches this way, and get a placemat out of each. I made a set of 4 for my son, each with different patterns, like a sampler set; I learned a lot and it came out pretty. They come out fairly floppy - if you want them stiffer, use double strands of thread.

o

There are lots of dishcloth patterns available online. Add stitches to make a piece that is wide enough, and then knit until it's long enough to be classed as a placemat.

I knit blankets (out of squares and strips, which are then sewn together) using dishcloth patterns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here