Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to knit using circular needles

Posted by summer_fashion (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 11:02

I'm just learning to knit. Could anyone tell me which patterns to print that use circular knitting needles? Also, is it hard to knit using circular needles? Which size circular should I buy to start with? Thank you. Margaret

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to knit using circular needles

Here is a site showing how to use the circular needle.
What I suggest is that you put a marker between 1st stitch
and last stitch so you know where to stop!
http://knitting.about.com/od/knittingskills/qt/circularbasics.htm
Hope this helps and good luck.

o

It also depends on what you're making with circular needles. I LOVE circular needles for EVERYTHING. You can knit flat stuff with circular, not just round stuff (like SOCKS, my addiction!). I like that the needle (stiff part) isn't as long. WHen starting I liked 8,9 or 10 as it wasn't too big nor too small. AND I liked bamboo, and about a 24 inch cable. But it's something you start aquiring, and depends on what you're knitting.

Vickey-MN

o

Circular needles can also be used like straight ones, where you just go back and forth. Your pattern will tell you the size needles you need. I'm doing an afghan with 36" long size 8 needles. I couldn't use them on a small project.

I like to use circular needles because when I have to stop for any reason, I just pull up both needles and shove the work onto the cord. No chance of stitches falling off.

I like them so much, that I bought a whole set of needles with interchangeable cords. Of course, the first thing I made after that purchase required a size/length that I didn't have!! Oh well.

Find something you would enjoy making, get the needles that the pattern recommends, and have fun. In a few years, you will have quite an assortment of needles.

-Babka

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here