Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
scarf pattern question

Posted by carol_ann (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 07 at 10:05

I want to make DH a scarf and have been looking for the right pattern. For reasons that I won't bore you with here :) I want to use a variation of a rib stitch. I really like one I found called basket rib (see link; it's the third stitch down). However, in doing a swatch, I've noticed that it curls in slightly already (I've only done a few inches), I assume because it's partly stockinette.

My question: can I just put a simple 1/2" or so border on the edge of the scarf to get rid of the tendency to curl? I'm thinking a seed stitch or something.

If that won't work I'll look for another stitch (I like farrow rib also and based on what I'm reading for the pattern it doesn't seem like it will curl but I haven't swatched it yet).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Here is a link that might be useful: stitch patterns

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: scarf pattern question

Yes, a border of 3 to 5 stitches in garter or seed stitch should stop the curl. I am partial to the farrow rib for scarves myself, and it doesn't curl, even without a border.

o

Thanks, Donna... that was my second choice and may get bumped up to first :) I think I want a scarf that looks OK on both sides and the basket rib definitely looked like it had a wrong side.

o

See if you can find stitch pattern books in your local library. There are quite a few rib patterns which are reversible. Below is a link with reversible patterns from the Barbara Walker Treasuries (they are truly a knitter's treasure). Check out the cartridge-belt rib.

Here is a link that might be useful: Reversible stitch patterns

o
RE: reversible scarf pattern

Whoops, should have posted a link to the pattern instead of just a picture. Scroll down and click on the "download free pattern" in the link below (PDF).

Here is a link that might be useful: cartridge rib scarf

o

Thanks -- I'd seen that stitch as well and it's really nice to see it worked up as a scarf -- it's definitely got a "man's scarf" feel and I love the texture. More decisions to make! :) Maybe I'll just have to make him more than one scarf :))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here