Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adding words on knitting

Posted by kaymcd (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 07 at 9:34

Hello

Does anyone know how to add names etc to a knitting item. I knitted a baby bib and want to put in the center my grandchild's name and birth date on it. Or am I crazy?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adding words on knitting

In Word (or another program of this type) you can choose the font and layout for the name you want to use. Then save it as a GIF, JPEG, or PNG (no larger than 1meg. Then go to Knit Pro at the link below and convert it to a knit graph. I have used this and it has been very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knit Pro

o

If you don't want to knit the name as you are going, you can embroider it on later with duplicate stitch. I think most general knitting instruction books would tell you how to do that.

Donna

o

You aren't crazy. I think this is a lovely idea.

If you have already knitted the bib, then Donna's suggestion of duplicate stitch is probably what you need to use.

You could make your own pattern using KnitPro or knitting graph paper or you could copy a pre-existing alphabet pattern that you like (googling "free knit alphabet pattern" will pull up a bunch you can choose from).

Good luck! (And congrats on the new grandbaby!)

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

o

I have done that many many times...and long before there was knitting graph paper...I just had to graph out the letters to be tal and skinny.
It's not hard to do to lay it out on graph paper and then just wind the bobbins and knit it in.
Linda C

o

I've knitted many children's sweaters with their name on the front....I knit in the round, which makes it easier...simply graph the letters (easy to do in block letters on regular graph paper), center on the front of the sweater, and, using a second yarn, knit the stitches that form the letters. You can also, using the graph, knit the stitches of the name letters, and pearl all those stitches around the name...I generally just do the pearl stitches all the way round...so the knit stitches appear in a band of pearl stitches..this pearling makes the letters of the name stand out, and does away with the need for a second color.

o

here's a site where you can type in the words and they create the chart for you

Here is a link that might be useful: Celtic Stitch Chart Generator

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here