Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tami_ohio

Here's a tip for those who travel & check out the shops along the

tami_ohio
16 years ago

I scanned all my patterns, along with supplies needed, then printed them off as photos. I then purchased a small brag book type photo album that wouldn't take up much space. I put all the pattern pictures in the album to take with me on our travels, so I know what patterns I have, and how much yarn they take, so if I find some yarn I just can't live without, I know if I have a pattern I can use it with & how much to buy, or if I need to buy a new pattern to go with the yarn! Of course, if I only buy sock yarn, I don't need the pattern info, because I make so many socks! Size 2 or 3 needles, one 100 gm ball of yarn or 2 50 gm balls...................

Tami

Comments (4)

• kickypants
    16 years ago

AAAArrrghhh....that is such a wonderful idea!!! I always end up NOT purchasing anythng because I'm concerned about not buying enough, or the wrong size, etc. You are brilliant coming up with this simple and very portable idea!

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know about brilliant! I am limited in space when we travel. We usually either take the little Focus, or the Pickup truck, which does have a back seat, but when you get cooler and suitcases in it, you just don't have much room. We do have an Expedition, but it usually stays home. It just mostly depends on what we physically feel like at the time of the trip as we both have back problems. I've also had a fracture boot on for the last 2 summers, which limits how easy it is to get in and out of cramped spaces.

The biggest reason I think I came up with this idea, was that I wanted something I could put in my purse or a folder with my list of shops/addresses/phone numbers, for the yarn shops in the states we would be traveling in. And your reason for not buying was the very reason I wanted to know what patterns I had & what yarns/amounts they took!

Mostly, I tend to buy sock yarn when we go, as it's easiest to pack and takes small quantities. And it makes a nice souvinier. These socks came from....... Or I'll buy a pattern I like, then buy the yarn at my local shop. She may not have the pattern, or I might not remember what it looked like or what company published it, but she can get the yarn or something comparable that I like. Still takes little space traveling.

Now get scanning! Then you won't have any reason to pass up that gorgous yarn you see next time. I wouldn't think it would be a copy write violation. You are using it for your own reference, and not sharing or copying the complete pattern. I do copy the whole pattern for my use, tho, so if I loose it or spill something on it, I still have the original put in a safe place. I can also write on it and not mess up the original. I've even had patterns that suggested it for that reason, just not sharing.

Tami

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

You are addicted,Tami! How big is your yarn stash?????

• tami_ohio
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sheila, There are 3 large totes in my DD's room, pluse some yarn in bags in the closet! Most of it is sock yarn, tho. I can do a pair in 20 hours, if I work at it. Well, I guess I can do a pair in 20 hours if I don't work at it!!! It's just a matter of how long in between knitting sessions!

Tami

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions