Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knitting with three colors!!

Posted by areade5177 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 7:27

I am knitting a pattern with three colors and am having a hard time figuring out how the right side wrong side part plays into the changing of the colors. I keep ending up with a dotted line across both sides of my project. I want the right side to be pretty abd without the obvious stitching of the next color across it. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Particularly does it matter which color is on top when I wrap the yarn around the needle in order to form a stitch? Thank you all for your input!! Greatly appreciated…

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knitting with three colors!!

I hate those dotted line rows too!

I hope you are not knitting with more than one colour at a time, because that will require a different answer than the one I am going to write.

It does not matter at all which colour is on top when you change colours.

With garter stitch (knitting all of the stitches) or when all of the rows are purled, the thing that matters - to keep all the dotted line rows on one side of the knitted piece - is that you always start your different colour on the same side as the previous colour change(s).
To be perfectly technical about it - you can only change colours after you have knit an even number of rows (after 2 rows, or 4 rows, or 6 rows, etc.)
Or only after an odd number of rows - after 3 rows, 5 rows, 7, etc.

You did not say if the pattern is all garter stitch (all knit stitches) or if it is stockinette stitch (knit a row, then purl a row). With stockinette stitch, I can't remember right off the top of my head ... but the same sort of principle applies. Colour change(s) must only be done after the purl row (I think) so the dotted rows only appear on the wrong side of the knitted piece. (If that is wrong, then the colour change can only be done after the knitted row.) Try it and see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here