Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommalin

decrease crochet ?

mommalin
17 years ago

ch26. Starting in 2nd ch from hook, work 1 row even in pat(1sc,1dc). Dec.1st at the beg of each row until 1st remains.Final result is a triangle.

Comments (12)

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Momma, I believe the writer of this pattern did the public a disservice if that's the best explanation they gave for the decrease. Your pattern stitch is in a multiple of 2, with a beginning stitch count of 25, which is an odd number. Decreasing only one stitch at the beginning of every row will mean that every other row becomes an even count, leaving you to wonder how to carry out the instructions. I believe that in each row you will be putting a sc above a dc and vise versa. So, here's what I would do: ch 1 at the end of row 1, turn. Row 2: Pull up a loop in both the first and second stitches, yarn over and draw through both loops. Then continue in pattern, starting with a dc. Ch 1, turn. Row 3: Pull up a loop in both the first and second stitches, yarn over and draw through both loops. Then continue in pattern, starting with a sc. Ch 1, turn. Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you come to a point.

• mommalin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donna, I still don't have it. I am trying to decrease in pattern. Pattern is 1sc,1dc with a chain 1 if row ends in 1dc or chaining 2 if row ends in 1 sc;turn. Two parts of the pattern are triangles-ch 26 1st st in 2nd ch.dec at beginnig of every row- If the 1st stitch is a dc I am chaining 2 at end of last row. It seems that to keep the yarn at correct elevation I have to wrap yarn around needle, pull up loop(3 loops on needle),go to next sc,pull up a loop and go through all 4 loops?Problem 2; The center square has a corner shaping of 7 sts in a contrasting color.Pattern reads:Working with CC on only the 7 CC sts.(these 7 stitches will be decreased off after the 7th row,) continue in pat st, decreasing 1st at the beg and end of each row until 1 st remains. Fasten Off.?If you decrease 2 stitches per row how can it take 7 rows to decrease 7 stitches?How do you decrease at the end of the row?
    I HATE when a pattern beats me. Under the picture of the afghan it says "Because of its unique construction, this piece is recommended for experienced crocheters."I HEAR YA!!

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Momma, now I'm as confused as you are. Of course, I'm only getting the instructions here in bits and pieces. If you could scan and email it to me, I'd be happy to try a swatch myself and report back. mudpie@thegraphiczone.net

• mommalin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donna, I do not have a scanner.I could snail mail.Thanks for you help.I appreciate the time you devote to the Knitting and Crocheting Forum.Seems you reply to most post.

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Momma, I just sent you an email with my address. Looking forward to trying to figure this one out.

• mommalin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am ready to pitch this one in the garbage. How can something so simple drive me insane!? There are 7 stitches.Object is to decrease 7 stitches in 7 rows decreasing at beginning and end of row for 7 rows.Doesn't work for me.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    17 years ago

No, the instructions are wrong. If you decrease at the beginning and end of each row, you are decreasing 2 stitches in each row. Maybe they want you to keep the decreases at the same end? In that case, you would decrease, for example, at the beginning of row 1, at the end of row 2, at the beginning of row 3 at the end of row 4 at the beginning of row 5 and the end of row 6 and at the beginning of row 7. Therefore, all your 7 decreases would be on the same edge of your work.

Does this answer your puzzling directions?????

• mommalin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sheila,Thank you so much. I have decided to start the whole thing again.I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out exactly what to do. Donna is trying to see what she can do with it.She just won Best of Show in her county fair!!I wonder how many of us have received awards for our work? Sounds like a good idea for a post.
    Congratulations again Donna.

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Momma, I just sent you an email with what I've come up with. Good luck.

• foggyj
    17 years ago

Congratulations Donna! What did you win with? Do you have a picture of that crazy, wave design you did? (blue yarn) Love to see how that turned out.

Hope you have made progress momma. Good luck.

• mommalin
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Donna, Thank you for once again going above and beyond.I started the afghan AGAIN and still am not happy with how it is going.The center square is not square.What a mess.It is making me crazy but I just can't give it up.If I do figure it out I will somehow get a picture and post it so everyone can see the outcome they helped produce.

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Thanks, Foggy. I got the best of show for a Granny's Daughter afghan. I did finish the geometric baby afghan, but I'm not the picture taker in the family. DH is and I just keep forgetting to get him to snap a photo. Momma, you'll get it, I'm sure. Maybe you just need to step away from the project for a bit and come back fresh.