Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amino_x

'Creeping-In' Mastering the Turn Row - Help!

Amino_X
18 years ago

I'm Crocheting a bedspread for my neice but today I noticed that over about half the project I had lost 6 inches on BOTH sides due to "Creeping" on the turns! WAAAAHHHH!!!!

I can't pull out half the project and re-do it, there really isn't that much time left so I just sc'd out 6 inches on each side to even it up with the original base-chain and will just fix it before I border it.

I've learned how to keep this from happening using just a sc pattern for all rows, but this is my first time using this pattern and not I'm sure how to keep it from happing again.

Tha pattern I'm using is a simple shell pattern repeated ad-nasuem. :: (sc, hdc, dc) skip 2 st :: Repeat

When ending a row I've been using an hdc stitch for the last two stitches and adding a sc stitch before turning (this is how I prevent creep with a sc row, perhaps I should be adding 2sc before turning?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank You

Amino-X

Comments (13)

• socks
    18 years ago

There are many people here who know a lot more about crochet than I.

However, I wonder if you are reducing the number of stitches each row you make. Are you doing a chain or two chains at the end of each row so you can work into the last stitch in the previous row? (Your directions should tell you to do this.) That way you will always have the number of stitches you started with and end up with a rectangle. This could be what is going wrong if the "creeping" started from the very beginning of your project.

If you are not pleased with the end product, consider taking out the work to the point where the trouble started (the beginning?). Work up as many rows as you can and present it to your dear niece (maybe along with a bouquet or little stuffed animal) as a work in progress and she will get it as soon as you can finish. Then crochet like crazy!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    18 years ago

You have a typical beginner's problem. I still have to be on guard not to have this problem. Your problem is that you are not going to the end of the row every time, so you lose stitches from each row. It is very important to count when you crochet. For example, you should know how many shells make up a row, so at the end of the row, count to be sure that you have that many. (Usually the even numbered rows have one less or more than the odd numbered rows.)

Perhaps another way to help you is to suggest that you use a safety pin on the first and last stitch of each row, usually the turning chain. When you make that turning chain, right away put a safety pin in the top chain, the one next to your hook. Then be sure that when you turn and come back in the next row that your last stitch is in that safety pinned stitch. I think this will solve your problem.

Too bad you do not want to take out the mistaken part, as it will make a huge difference in the finished project.

• Amino_X
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for your help, I'll try those :D

I actually wouldn't mind pulling it out as I could make up the ground in a couple of days if I go flat out, but the yarn I'm using turns to embrodry floss when sreatched and never looks the same again (goes flat you might say) so the puffy shells end up looking more like a doiley than an afghan after using, pulling out and then re-using the yarn :(

Best Wishes
    Amino-X

• sheilajoyce_gw
    18 years ago

Ok, so be sure not to buy that kind of yarn again.

• Amino_X
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Instead of pulling it out to the point that it started creeping (over 2/3 of the project) I just re-started the project. I'm really glad I did now though, because I think my base-chain was off. The re-started project looks more like the pattern (you start and end each row with a hdc and it makes a nice border, something that didn't happen on the other one).

I'm being especially careful this time :D

Thanks for all the help

Amino-X

• socks
    18 years ago

Good for you, Amino. You just have to make sure you retain the same number of stitches as you had in the original chain. Be careful doing those turning chains so you work into the proper stitch on the previous row. It's painful to tear out that much work, but in the end you'll be glad. I had to tear out something last night. I looked at it for two days before I could get the heart to do it.

• debbeeanne
    18 years ago

Sheilajoyce, thank you for explaining how to avoid creeping. My mom has been having that problem with her crocheting, and I am going to pass on the tip about the safety pin. I am assuming you just move the safety pin up every time you make the turning chain, right?

• sheilajoyce_gw
    18 years ago

Right.

• itsmesuzq
    18 years ago

You guys are awesome! I am a newbie to crocheting and I've noticed that I tend to forget to count...or I just plain "forget"!! I read the above post and I loved that everyone was so helpful and kind as they tried to help Deb. I just want you to know that you have helped me as well. Thanks for being there ladies!
    ~Susan

• Amino_X
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for being there ladies!

I'll second that! :D

LOL! Instead of pulling out the old project and balling up the yarn, I'm crocheting directly from the old project to the new ha ha.

Best Wishes
    Amino-X

• socks
    18 years ago

How's that bedspread going, Amino?

• Amino_X
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Going great now :)

I finished the field yesterday and started bordering it. I couldn't quite get the border I wanted to look right so I decided to try a "ruffle" type of a nice pointed shell repeated in layers. :)

I'll post a pic as soon as I get it finished :)

Best Wishes
    Amino-X

• garden_grammie
    18 years ago

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this post. I am sure all those new to crocheting will appreciate all the info!

Sponsored
More Discussions