Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turning heel of sock

Posted by salling (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 21:11

I have cut and pasted the part of the pattern with which I am having difficulty. Am I supposed to be repeating the pattern from the "sl1, p16. p2tog, p1, turn work." or from the "next row"? I don't have enough stitches to do the whole row of the first row. If I do the first row (with the p16) should I reduce the number of stitches to accomodate the p2tog, p1?
This pattern is going to drive me nuts. More reason to eat chocolate. :)

Turn Heel: (wrong side facing), sl1, p16. p2tog, p1, turn work.

Next row: sl1, k3, ssk, k1, turn work.

Next row: sl1, p4, p2tog, p1, turn work.

Next row: sl1, k5, ssk, k1, turn work.

Continue in this manner, working to within one stitch of the gap from previous row and making decreases until all stitches have been incorporated. There should be 18 stitches remaining and you will have just completed a right side row, ready to pick up stitches for the gusset.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turning heel of sock

I would love to help you, but I don't understand your problem. Where does it say to "repeat"? I don't see that word. I do see "continue in this mannner," which would have you slip 1, p6, p2 tog, p1 turn work in the next row. Is that what you are asking? You have a progression here, and they want you to continue that progression. The 16 stitches are worked in the first or "turn heel" row only.

Don't replace any stitches. You are now making the very fatest part of the sock taper down toward what will be the toe. So you are gradually decreasing.

Do you understand ssk?

o

No, no repeats needed. When it says turn, do that and
work the next row. You won't be working all the stitches
across a row until you get to the end

Here is a link that might be useful: heel

o

Thank you so much. I was thinking repeats but I really needed to pay closer attention to the instructions. I get it now. I was so frustrated. Thanks again. :)

o

Turning the heels on socks makes absolutely no sense until you've done the first one. When my friend Lisa made her first one, I lent her my old sock pattern and told her, "Just do EXACTLY what the instructions tell you to do. DON'T try to analyze it and DON'T try to anticipate what's coming." She called me the next day all excited about turning the heel, and that I'd given her good advice. She tends to be very analytical and she'd have been a wreck trying to figure out just what the point of the instructions were!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here