Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gauge help needed...grace vs. worsted

Posted by dllfb (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 08 at 20:19

I have a summer top pattern that Id love to knit, however it calls for worsted weight yarn. Its
pattern states a gauge of 20 sts and 26 rows = 4 inches or 10 cm in st st...I have a bunch a Grace
cotton yarn that someone gave me. It is a lot thinner and has gauge with size 4 mm (US 6)
needles = 24 stitches = 4 inches or 10 cm. but I really want to use this Grace and was wondering
how I could use it in this pattern...could I use double the strand of yarn or make the pattern a
larger size/smaller....Ive always been terrible at the conversion stuff???Any ideas you could give
me would be great...thanks so much!!!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gauge help needed...grace vs. worsted

Have you actually made your own test swatch? I knit a lot looser than many pattern gauges, so I often can get away with using thinner yarns than a pattern calls for. If it's still too small try moving up one needle size and see if that works. You might get lucky.

Annie

o
RE: gauge help needed...grace vs. worsted

Might I ask what summer top pattern you are using? DamascusAnnie is right about the swatch. That's the first thing you'll want to do. I personally knit tighter than the given gauge. If the pattern is a simple one and includes a schematic you can use your gauge to personalize the sweater with whatever yarn you would like. I just did this with a dress recently and I used Grace yarn.

Sometimes the only problem with using larger needles when the yarn is of smaller gauge is that the weave in the fabric tends to be looser making the garment a little more "revealing" than one would like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here