Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

Running out of yarn for sock--what to do

socks
14 years ago

I'm running out of yarn and won't make it through the toe on the sock I'm knitting with DK yarn.

I don't mind doing the toe in another yarn/color. It doesn't show when the sock is being worn anyway. However, I only have fingering weight sock yarn in my stash, no DK. Do you think I could double the fingering to equal DK weight to finish the rest of the sock? I can purchase a similar DK yarn, but if I could use the fingering that would be good. Trying to reduce the stash.

Thanks, Susan.

Comments (8)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, double it. Do the same with the other sock.

I know what you mean about reducing the stash. I have been working on doing it with mine, but I never seem to have enough of something, so end up buying another skein or two. One step forward, two steps back!

• socks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hear you, Sheila. I know some people enjoy their stashes, but mine is really stuff I don't know what to do with plus odds and ends of finished projects.

I was able to knit clear down to the toe decreases, so I'll try doubling the fingering for the toes. Both socks will then have different colored toes, and I think it will actually be cute. Thanks.

• minnie_tx
    14 years ago

My mom won a radio contest back in the 40's in Chicago for her hint. It was to use all different colors of yarn when knitting mittens or gloves or socks. Then when they needed to be mended just pick up any color you have on hand. She won a lapel watch which had just come into sytle at that time

Just thought I'd share with you all

• justlinda
    14 years ago

Just thought of another hint:

Making the toes different colours means that there's no such thing as a "pair" of socks, so when folding the laundry there's no wasting time matching up a pair! Now that's a time saver in my books.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

I am trying to knit up some charity hats, wrist warmers and scarves for a group in San Francisco and I am using up yarns donated to my stash. Some were really expensive, but I really never could decide what to do with one or two skeins of this and that, some skeins being quite small. Some of these donated skeins don't even have labels on them so I don't know what they are, though most are animal fibers or combinations of synthetic and wools. A friend just wanted to get them out of her house, so I took them off her hands. But so many babies are coming this fall that I don't have the time for the project that I'd hope to have. Soooo, I will just knit up the rest for next year's donation.

• socks
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's how the sock turned out with doubled fingering for the toes. I'm really happy with it. I bought the main yarn as a souvenir on a trip to Australia several years ago and have been wondering what to do with it. Great souvenir, huh? I've never knit socks with anything but fingering. This is DK, and WOW does the sock go faster (sz 3 needles)!

{{gwi:1579230}}

• sheilajoyce_gw
    14 years ago

Nice job, they look so nice and they are toasty too! You will enjoy wearing them this winter.

• rmlanza
    14 years ago

Nice socks! I almost always make the toes, heels, and cuffs of my socks in a contrasting color. But never with a different weight yarn, nice to know it works!

I like to buy yarn from places I visit and make my own souvenirs too! Made 2 alpaca scarves with yarn that came from the alpaca farm on Whidbey Island my daughter and I stayed at last fall. And now I'm trying to figure out what to make with all the wool I brought home from Iceland a few weeks ago!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions