Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yarn substitute for Bernat Berella Baby Bulky?

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 15:15

I have an old pattern book that calls for Bernat Berella Baby Bulky and I do not know a good substitute. It is a pattern that calls for a C (2:50 mm) or B (2 mm)hook and says 5 sc = 1 inch and 6 rows = 1 inch.

I want a soft synthetic pink yarn as this is a pattern for a lacy short sleeved baby dress and matching "soaker."

I thought I would make this in a size one to thank my DD's friend who gave her all those hand me down maternity slacks. Her baby girl is one month old, and so I thought I would make something she can wear next summer. They usually have tons of newborn sizes and nothing for an older baby.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yarn substitute for Bernat Berella Baby Bulky?

You can check for similar weight yarns using the link below. Is the Bernat discontinued?

Here is a link that might be useful: Yarndex

o

I think so. Some of my pattern books are from when I was first pregnant 33 to 34 years ago, so patterns I love often are for out of production yarns. A chart will be helpful.

o

Have you checked Joann's or AC Moore? They may have something similar. If anything, acrylic these days has gotten much nicer and softer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joann.com

o

I did a quick search and found a pattern that calls for the same yarn - according to this pattern, Bernat Berella Baby Bulky is a sportweight yarn. Guess many years ago the "baby" yarn was fingering and anything heavier, even sport which we know think of as lightweight, was considered bulky. The Bernat Beralla "4" is probably a good subsititute

Here is a link that might be useful: Bernat Beralla

o

Thanks, Susan. Yes, my old pattern books all call for baby yarn, which is perhaps a tad larger than fingering or sock yarn. Now I have to order any baby yarn online as no local store sells baby yarn, and it is so hard to tell the hue of the color. When I ask store clerks about baby yarn, they always point out the sport yarn.

I have some great old pattern books, but the yarns they call for are not made any longer.

o

I have been able to purchase the Bernat Baby (lightweight #1/fingering) at Joann's and AC Moore but they generally have very little selection. They always seem to have the white sparkle and then sometimes something random. Joann's does sell it on their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joann.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here