Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just got back from Iceland, what should I do with all this wool?!

Posted by rmlanza (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 15:14

Hey gang. It's been a while since I've posted here. I just got back from a fantastic vacation in Iceland and I bought a bunch of yarn there but not sure what I should make with it. Not sure I bought enough in any coordinating colors to make anything big. I've got 3 balls of dark brown, 1 cream, 1 white, 1 dark fuscia and 1 medium green, all 100g balls of 100% Icelandic wool, bulky weight. I've also got 1 pink, 1 blue, 1 purple and 1 white of a lighter weight, possibly worsted, 50g balls. I thought of making scarves but this is pretty scratchy wool, not real comfy around the neck. I'm thinking maybe mittens in some of the more fun colors although I've never made mittens before. I'd like a simple vest pattern for the browns and cream, if I have enough. Anyone have any good suggestions or links to patterns? I'm not asking for free patterns unless there's a source that has free patterns, I'm willing to pay for a good one!

Thanks a bunch!
Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just got back from Iceland, what should I do with all this wo

Since you didn't say whether you were interested in knitting or crocheting, I'll just make a general suggestion. Do a Google search for:

scandanavian knitting designs or
scandanavian crochet designs

You can also go to garnstudio.com There you'll find many, many free designs with a choice of either knit or crochet. Plenty of inspiration.

Due to the scratchy factor, sounds like a cardigan may be the right choice for you.

o

Thank you yarnlover! I do both crochet and knit but prefer knit for this wool. That site, garnstudio.com, is wonderful! I'd never seen that one before and what gorgeous patterns! I'm sure I'll find something there.

Thanks again!
Robin

o

You're quite welcome. Enjoy working your project. Wish I had thought to bring home yarn from Iceland. I did get yarn in Ireland, but never gave a thought to Iceland. I found it beautiful there, in an unconventional way.

o

You've been? Whenever we told anyone we were going to Iceland, they'd all ask why Iceland? Most people would go to London (been there) or Rome (been there too) or Paris (not yet!). But we really loved Iceland. And of course it's much more economical to go there now than it was a few years ago. Australia and Ireland are next on our list I think. I like to buy native yarns when I go somewhere and make my own souvenirs! My daughter and I stayed on an alpaca farm on Whidbey Island last fall and I made scarves with yarn that came from those alpacas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here