Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are you working on?

Posted by tami_ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 13:48

Maybe this will jump start the forum again.

I have a pair of summer socks and a cabled tank top on the needles. What about you?

Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are you working on?

Well, until I went to the optomotrist yesterday, I was completing a tablecloth for my son's friend. But I had to turn in my glasses to get new lenses, so no close work for 10 days.

My son's friend found a partially completed tablecloth when he closed up his mother's house after her death. So my son told me he was looking for someone to finish it, and I volunteered after someone here found the pattern from the picture my son sent. But her stitches were small, and I have to move the motifs into a rectangle and then make 100 or more motifs to add to that rectangle. I think I will have enough of her motifs to make the top of the table all her work. Then I will add mine to make the sides that drop down and also then I will add the connecting little asterisks in my cotton thread all over the cloth. Lots of her motifs tore off and I have to mend that somehow. Since she used the partial cloth, there are stains I hope I can remove. I will wash it gently when it is complete. My motifs will need the washing to remove the sizing and make the motifs relax and look better too.

And I had made over 70 of the motifs when I put them away for the holidays and months later dug out to find that the thread had yellowed deeply. No wonder Herrschner's had discontinued that thread! So now I have enough to make a little cloth when I finally finish the big project.

o

You know I try to work on only one project at a time, and that never works. Currently working on a sweater for my great nephew, BUT will probably start another left-over sock yarn sweater, socks and REALLY need to start christmas stockings..need to make 3, and want to get 5 done by christmas!!!

Will add more projects and pictures as I do them.

o

Wow, Sheila! That's a huge project to take on. I'm sure it will be beautiful when you finish it.

Vickey, I have the same problem. I do intentionally work on more than one for a reason, tho. They all are on different size needles to make my hands feel better!

Tami

o

Yes, Shiela Joyce, I remember when you first posted about that tablecloth. I remember thinking what a huge task you were assuming. Please do post pictures when you are done.

I usually have several projects going at one time as well, but I have not picked up my knitting needles or a crochet hook in months. I think it's because of the heat. I enjoy the craft more when the weather is cooler. But I do have a project on the needles which has set idle for too long. It's called "Retro Throw". It's a free pattern from KnitPicks. I am repurposing the yarn (some of it had already been knitted up) that was intended for an Adult Surprise Jacket. I decided that my blob of a body did not need a boxy shapeless jacket, LOL. I am using: peach, taupe, cream, and a variegated (taupe, mushroom and cream). I rather like the look of it.

BUT, I'm sure that if I did a small search I would find at least a pair of socks on needles and "something" with a crochet hook stuck in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retro Throw

o

Hi everyone I'm fairly new to this forum and to knitting.
I subscribed to Creative Knitting a few months back and the last issue had a patern for "My First Sweater" So after knitting a thousand scarves......I dove in and of course now I'm stuck and don't know what to do. I got the bottom of the back piece done and it's really pretty, I just don't understand the next step in the patttern....so that's what I've been doing.

o

Sally, maybe you could start a thread and give us the specifics of your problem. I have that issue (as do others, I'm sure) and we may be able to help.

o

I just washed these to be ready to take to the hospital maternity ward when (if!!) it ever cools down LOL. We have AC and I sit under a ceiling fan, so it isn't too bad crocheting in this weather. I have been given so much yarn that isn't the typical "baby" colors so have used a lot of colorful acrylic yarns. They are more fun to make too. The nurses commented on the bright colors in their Christmas thank you letter.

o

wantoretire - very pretty!
I am making scarves for a fair later this year mostly but a lady offered me some angora and silk on these big funnel's and of course I said yes : ) I am making a shrug from the angora for my sisters 40th b-day in December but not sure what to do with the silks...

o

Very pretty blankets!

I am trying to learn Cat Bohrdi's sweet tomato heel on that pair of socks. If I could sit down with no disctractions they would be done! It isn't hard, but like anything new to learn, it takes time and concentration.
I've also been working on baby hats for the hospital.

Tami

o

I think I finally mastered the sweet tomato heel! I am working on the feet now.

o

Tami,
How do you like the heel? I am thinking of trying this on the current pair of socks I'm working on. I don't have the E-book, do you think I need that or is the youtube video good enough?

o

Vickey, are the socks for you? If so, probably. I will tell you that if working from the cuff down, when you get to the 3rd wedge of the heel, after working a few rows, until there are about 2" between wraps, try them on. You may not need to go any further with the last heel wedge before going on to the foot. The heel is worked on 2/3 of the stitches. Give it a try before you buy the book and see if you can do it without. I went back and forth between the book and the video. I did a LOT of ripping out, and I do mean a LOT!I think I can do it now with out so much ripping, tho.

o

I usually post to the cooking forum but have taken up knitting and crochet again in the past year after a lapse of about 20 years. I am not tackling anything very ambitious and I am working without patterns at the moment. I will 'graduate' soon to a pattern to make a baby jacket for a friend's grandson. My most recent projects have been hats and scarves, mostly hats. And one balaclava. I did make a couple of fun handbags for a couple of women friends for fun.

Photobucket

Photobucket

They were both lined and had art glass beads. The navy blue one had a button hole in the flap that the glass pendant slipped through to keep the bag closed.

Otherwise it's hat city here. Ski season is coming and my daughter is active in her college ski club. I'll post those later.

Eileen

o

Eileen, I love the blue one! I have some of those pendants. I never thought of using them like that.

o

Thanks! The green one started out as a string market bag and then sort of grew into something else. I made it for someone who loves green. I don't know if she uses it or not. It was just a fun gift. The blue is probably more useful. Cute with jeans, I think. It's lined with a satin fabric in a sequin print. The pendant is heavy enough to hold the bag closed. It's almost 3 inches long.

E

o

Wantoretire_did: I love your pile of blankets. I inherited the stash of the mother of a long time friend. His wife doesn't do any needle work and his mother left several unfinished projects and bushels of yarn I will never use. I am going to donate it to the local yarn shop. They will give it to people who knitting and crochet for charity. I imagine it will become similar piles of pretty blankets. I will finish a couple of the projects and send them back to him as a thank you. Her skills were more advanced than mine so I will be somewhat challenged.

E

o

Barnmom, your skills look pretty good to me :-)

o

You are kind. I say her skills were more advanced because in a cursory look at the unfinished items I don't recognize some stitches as anything I've ever done. When I start in on those i will probably post photos here for help. There are two projects I will tackle and another I probably will not as it is barely begun.

My pattern reading skills are very rusty.

E

o

Hi there
I am working on my first Ripple. I just love how it work out as you go along. This is my second attemp, because I did not follow the pattern to the t and the result was sides that grow wider and wider. My husband did the honour to undo all my work that was almost just as far as I am now with this one.
Enjoy whatever you are doing.
Meidrie

o

Who of you have crochet needles and when you look for one, that one is the one misplaced?
Yesterday I make this handy roll using Tunisian Crochet as the crochet needles can slide in easy.

o

Meidrie -
Very pretty ripple afghan - very nice color. I would love to have the pattern for you 'hook keeper'. Great idea, Please share : )

I have found 3 really great deals at yard sales in the last 2 weeks. I purchased over 50 skeins (27 the same color) for $10 and a huge tote yesterday filled with 24 skeins of yarn, 2 cross stitch kits, a bundle of crochet hooks, 9 sets of knitting needles and 4 pattern books for $20 : )

Marie

o

Meidrie, the mint ripple is very pretty.

I had to look up Tunisian Crochet. Very clever. Now I need to do that stitch. It reminds me of the knitting stitch called "Linen." It looks like it might be less tedious, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linen stitch.

o

wantoretire_did
love your blankets what are the sizes??

I mostly crochet hats and now some simple scarves to go with them. I give them out at the VA hospital in the winter and keep some in the car to give to homeless guys on the road My mailmen and delivery guys get them too. It was a free pattern and so simple

o
RE: pic of hat

Here is a pic of the hat I do most in a camoflage yarn or blues etc

o

Love the camo beanie! What a nice thing to do. I usually hand out dollar bills and dog food.

I found an unexpected home for all of my inherited yarn last night. I have a new friend who is having foot surgery this week and will need to be off of her feet completely for at least six weeks. She is an avid knitter and does a lot of charity knitting and this yarn is will work nicely for her. She was delighted to have it lot of it.

Eileen

o

Eileen

Isn't it nice to have someone to give things too who appreciates them

o

I am crocheting "space boots" for my grandson's for Christmas. The pattern calls them "slipper boots", but they thought the ones I made for their new baby brother looked like space boots. They were a bit envious of his, lol. Sure they will like them.

o

Minnietx - I preferred square blankets when my boys were babies, so I usually make them that way. I try to get them to at least 28"x28". I get bored easily, so have to push myself to make them a little larger. ;-)

Here's a link of recommended sizes for all ages.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preemies to wheelchair blanket sizes

o

Thanks so much for that size info

o

wantoretire_did
I'm making a big Granny Squaqre out of some Orange I have. Is it better o have a closer stitch for these baby blankets? Do you have a favorite fast pattern you use? Thanks in advance

o

Minnie - I seem to favor the Never Ending Square, shown below,

or a basic shell stitch. The shell stitch makes any yarn look prettier :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Never Ending Blanket Square

o

Thanks I printed off that pattern it seems a lot tighter granny

o

wantoretire_did
I like that pettern
it is like my Octagon square but with just four corners and dbls across. Thank so much
I love the regular old fashioned Granny too but this makes a nice tight stitch across and not loose and floppy

o

I just finished a 16x16 pet mat using elisamcs' pattern that she posted on the Lapghan Pattern Question thread. NO HOLES at all. She uses size "P" hook. The largest hook I have is "N", so it is pretty tight. Have to go to Moores to get a larger hook, tho I don't like plastic.... Apparently, Susan Bates only go up to "N".

o

Just finished afghan to coordinate with my new bedding. Next project is an ivory afghan I'm making for a wedding present.

o

Annie, that's a pretty stitch! What is it?

Eileen

o

Thank you, barnmom. The pattern was from an old Workbasket magazine. My Mom never threw any of them out, and I've inherited them.

The pattern is one of DC shells separated by SC. The blue shells go over the gold SC and the gold shells over the blue SC and then a row of white SC to separate them. The stitches were worked in either back or front loops only so the shells always had texture on one side. Then it was finished off with a shell trim around the border.

o

I've been making hats/ little girl purses and cowls for a shop that sells it for me. I do hats for charity also. I love all the different hat patterns out there! My gr-daughters had to give their friends a hat... because they needed them... i was told! I'm glad they have caring hearts!

o

I have just the toes on another pair of socks for Christmas gifts.

Annie, that afghan is beautiful!

o

GF was here from visiting from out of state and she said she'd just started knitting...called herself a beginner. Hah! She had made herself a beautiful scarf with beads on it (I've never done beads and I've been knitting for 40 years!) She made wonderful socks too. Fine yarns and needles....came out beautiful.

o

She also made a scarf that was a mobius strip. I looked up on line and apparently there's this whole technique to doing mobius casting on and knitting to make these one sided scarves and shrugs. Very interesting....

o

A young friend of mine is getting married so I made her an afghan as a wedding present. I hope she'll like it!

o

Lovely afghan!

Do you have a link to the mobius strip scarf? I think my daughter would like one.

Eileen

o

I'm not sure which pattern she used, and there seems to be a number of different ways of knitting this.

Here's a link to free patterns that may be helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moebius knitting tutorial

o

I have 3 pair of socks done for Christmas. I HAD the entire cuff of another sock ready for the heel when I discovered that I had dropped 2 stitches about 2 rounds into the cuff. So that all got pulled out. I also have a mobius scarf ready to bind off for a gift. I found lots of mobius patterns on Ravelry.

Tami

o

Have any one you tried the Knifty Knitter looms? I do knit with needles but these sparked my interest. They come with 4 different sized plastic looms with pegs and a little tool to work them with. To date I have made and sold over 200 toboggan caps, and several scarves. Recently I tried making tube socks using the smallest loom. I have already sold 7 of the 8 pairs I have made. I am making them for in-door wear like house socks. These would work very well for those doing charity items because they are much faster than using needles. (at least for me)The items still have that hand-knitted look to them so they don't loose that appeal. I bought my set at Hobby Lobby but I think they also carry them at Michael's and Walmart, although they may be made by a different company.

o

Having fun with scarves these days.

-Babka

November projects

o

wow! such fancy scarves!

o

Oh, big blank space above!

I have been making beanies for my daughter. I missed taking photos of a few of them but here are the most recent ones.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket doesn't have a small pic option anymore that I can find. Sorry for the huge pics.

E

o

I have been knitting hats for the grand kids

Here is a link that might be useful: knit a chil'ds hat free pattern

o

TRYING to learn to crochet all over again LOL. I made a vest when I was in high school (mid 70's). Was in Ben Franklin and saw free patterns for a crochet scarf so I took one. Started dc and kept messing up. Went online to see how a double crochet stitch was done. Turns out I was single crocheting LOL. Might learn one of these days.

o

photo 97afa4da-e254-48a9-b6ce-fd3634c41013_zps536fd9ff.jpg

I just finished this scarf in half fisherman's rib in a bulky yarn. I used three shades of a variegated yarn and combined them in a sort of rainbow effect. The finished scarf is about nine feet long. She wanted a wide, long scarf with long fringe.

And here she is wearing it right after it arrived on Valentine's Day.

Eileen

This post was edited by barnmom on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 10:16

o

Wow, love that scarf. The yarn blend worked out great!
good job.

o

Barnmom, you've done it again - that scarf is gorgeous!!

o

Thanks! It was knit on large needles so it went quickly but I hated the aluminum circular needles I was working with. They were ones I already had (a gift) so I used them rather than buy new bamboo ones in the right size. I cursed them silently and worked even faster to get it over with. ;)

I don't knit with a pattern as I find them difficult to read and follow with my failing eyesight. I'll have to break down and use a pattern if I decide to make anything more complicated, though.

Next up, another beanie! My daughter's friends have put in requests.

Eileen

o

The latest beanie. The recipient came by and picked it up.

Eileen

o

Very pretty!

o

I am working on a shawl called Winter's Mirage . Have got to the last row I can do since my yarn is almost finished. I don't have any more of it. Am waiting for a reply from the designer about what to do, rip back or what.

o

I've been knitting forever and right now I am developing some ideas/patterns for working with inexpensive cotton worsted weight from Walmart--not everyone can afford the really nice yarns. One thing you can do with this stuff is to make knitted washcloths--not dishcloths--these are really very pleasant to use. What I am trying to do is work out patterns that allow for the way this yarn shrinks when machine washed and dried because who wants to hand block these utilitarian items?

o

Hi, everyone! I haven't posted here in quite a while.

My current project is a Bavarian crochet baby blanket. It is taking forEVER! LOL I am getting close to finishing though, so trying to keep at it a little every night. It looks pretty but is boring. It's a two-row stitch pattern of treble crochets, and since you start in the middle each row gets longer, and longer... :)

I have some hand quilting and sewing projects I'd like to work on but am determined to finish this blanket first!

Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: Bavarian crochet

o

I'm Working on a shawl for my niece to be's wedding June 2014. Estonian lace, a wool silk blend.  photo IMAG0164_zps1c966ce7.jpg

This post was edited by vickey__mn on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 21:41

o

I finished my Winter's Mirage shawl, got it washed and now it is being blocked. And I am going to start another this one is called Spring's Dance by Dragonflylace on Knitting Paradise Forum.

o

Very pretty Vickey! Daylilydayzed, I've enjoyed watching all the creations of the Winter's Mirage.

I've done a baby afghan, hot pads for a friend, and socks. Hoping to start something else soon.

o

Almost done, just need to add edging and block.  photo IMAG0167_zpse01e0ba6.jpg

o

It looks very good Vickey! I am up to row 7 of the edging on Spring's Dance/ I took it with me today when I had to go to the VA clinic IN Tampa. I had to see the Dr at the endocrine clinic. I had cancer of the thyroid gland in 1999 and had my thyroid gland removed,I now take medicine to replace the hormone.

o

Daylilydayzed I'd love to see pictures of your shawls

o

I will take a picture of Winter's Mirage, and my progress onn Spring's Dance and post it here.

o

The first picture is of the edging on Winter's Mirage. this picture is of the body design.

o

Now just remember this is still on the needle, I have finished the Koi Ripples and The Ginko Lace border. I start the body tomorrow. This is the edge showing some of the nupps in the design.

o

Picture didn't load in the last post.

o

The entire body of work so far.

o

Daylilydayzed...beautiful

o

Thank you, Winter's Mirage was my first big lace project. The yarn was 100% baby alpaca yarn in a sport weight knitted with size 8 needles.. Spring's Dance is is Knit Picks yarn , Gloss Lace weight in the color Marina. Gloss Lace is 70% Merino wool and 30% silk. My first lace project in lace knitting was a cowl for my daughter-in-law , using the Gloss Lace and the Feather and Fan pattern on size 4 needle. My daughter-in law love it since she will not wear hats or scarves because they get blown off by the wind. This cowl wouldn't get blown off because it went over her head like a tube and then pulled back up and over her head to or hood like appearance.

o

Beautiful work Daylilly!

o

Thank you Tami_Ohio. By the way what part of Ohio, I was born in Cleveland.

o

I am about 30 miles west of Cleveland. Think half way to Cedar Point amusement park on the way. Lorain area.

o

Vicky & Daylily, all of your projects are beautiful! It's been a while since I knitted lace.

Still working on the Bavarian crochet...I have one round to go! LOL It calls for ending on the first row of the pattern so you get a straight edge, but DH & I both like the look of the pointed edge you get after the second row so I'm adding the one round I have left. I'll post a picture when it's done. :)

Donna

o

A progress report on Spring's Dance : after getting the edging and border charts done , That was what was on the needle in the above pictures, I have done 5 repeats of the Dragonfly's Wings charts, body of the shawl. It is looking really good so far.

o

I am working on an afghan to donate to the 4-H silent auction. I am also making a cross stitch about Ohio State for them if I get it done.

o

I am a crocheter and a newbie continental knitter.
I also enjoy tunisian crochet
I am presently working on a Kim Guzman pattern called marilyn

o

sock monkey slippers for a friend  photo 20130506_194629_zps8694d70f.jpg

o

I'm about 1/2 way through a toddler afghan for baby of gym instructor due end of May. Oops, born last Saturday!! Gotta get hooking..........

o

wantoretire_did (Oh how I envy you with that name!!) Don't you hate it when Babies throw off your knitting/crocheting schedule :-)

o

I had to stop working on Spring's Dance. My daughter wanted me to knit a baby blanket for one of her co-workers who is expecting a baby in Sept. So I am working on the baby blanket using a pattern in a book of afghans but using smaller needle and only one strand of yarn.

o

This is a purse I finished using soda can pop-tabs. I crocheted the panels together using a black nylon fiber. I am enjoying the double-take looks I get when people realize what it is made from, Each tab also has a bead attached to it. It gives a very unique look. It's my own pattern. I like doing one-of-a-kind items.

o

This is a purse I finished using soda can pop-tabs. I crocheted the panels together using a black nylon fiber. I am enjoying the double-take looks I get when people realize what it is made from, Each tab also has a bead attached to it. It gives a very unique look. It's my own pattern. I like doing one-of-a-kind items.

o

Very Original LiddyBuff!Keep up the good work.

o

Thank you Daylilydayzed. I've always got some project in the works. My husband says it keeps me out of trouble. haha. I'm also posting another bag I made for my 15 yr old grand-daughter. This one has interlocking pop-tab panels on both sides that have been joined together with crochet work.

p.s. sorry for the duplicate posting.

o

Finished the shawl..but decided it wasn't "good enough" for my niece's wedding, so I'm going to donate it to church and make her another.
 photo 2013-06-23133605_zps5ef38a80.jpg

o

Hi Vickey ,
I think it is beautiful! Your nupps are lining up so great. I am finishing up my Spring's Dance right now. I am grafting the other edge to it right now. Our weather is rain right now after the thunder and lightning preceding it.
Daylilydayzed

o

Vickey it's beautiful! If I were your niece, I would treasure it and wear it with pride!

Tami

o

Vicky, it's lovely! I can't wait to see the next one if this one isn't "good enough"!

Donna

o

I've been away from the forum too long still doing my mens hats cant wait for cold weather to give them out looking for my old mile a minute afgan instructions

o

Yea !! I found my Annies Attic Mile a minute instructions I'm tired of making hats and misc granny squares for later use. I can get busy on one of these

o

Glad you found your pattern Minnie!

o

I have been knitting some gloves.I knitted these on a circular needle using magic loop.

o

Picture didn't load in first message

o

thanks tami_ohio I remember your name from years ago nice to see you.

o

Daylily, those gloves look great!

Minnie, it was nice to see you posting again. We miss you at the KT, too!

Tami

o

Fingerless mitts or my sister-in-law, they are a really deep purple  photo 20130812_201142_zps1a0c8893.jpg

o

Very Nice Vickey!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here