Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
more ?s on crock pot dyeing

Posted by sandra_ferguson (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 11:51

We took a little daytrip yesterday, and I came upon a sale on white wool yarn....pretty serendipitous, I thought, so I took it as a sign and bought 6 skeins....bit ones. They will have to be divided up and put into manageable loose skeins to do in the crockpot, but I was wondering.... would it be best to make the circumference of the skeins about the same circumference as the crock pot? If longer I'd have to loop it around and I thought that might alter how the color is taken up, and where. If around the same circumference I'm going to have to do it in quite a few batches, but figured if I mixed the koolade into the same amounts of boilig water, and then timed how long before I turned it off, and then how long I let it sit before removing from the crock pot, the results, dyewise, would be pretty much the same....calicokitty....any thoughts on this, or further suggestions? I bought enough wool to make a big sweater, so the same process is going to have to be repeated a good many times, I'd think. When you did it, how 'thick' was your skein...just approximately.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: more ?s on crock pot dyeing

Hi Sandra
When I prepared to dye mine, I looped my yarn around 2 chairs set about 3 feet apart. I had only a 100 grams of yarn, but I got dizzy walking around those chairs! The end result was probably about 40 strands thick. I purposely laid mine willy-nilly into the crockpot because I wanted the colors to be random.
Are you going to dye yours a solid color or a mix?

o

never heard of crock pot dyeing interesting tell us more!!

o

Minnie....go down a few posts and read my first questions and some of the answers.... dyeing yarn with koolade.
Calicokitty....I plan to use various blues and purples, but wondered if it would be better to use skeins of smaller circumference.......I have an antique 'clock winder' that makes skeining yarn easy, that I often use, but just wondered if it'd be better to make smaller ones. I don't care if all the skeins are the same...and, they wont be..... but would like continuity of hue...thus, I'll be careful to time the different phases of the process.

o

I agree that you should use smaller skeins. You'll want to be able to totally submerge your yarn if you want to get those deep colors throughout.

Some of my strands that were close to the surface took up just a hint of color. But that was the look I wanted- lots of changes from dark to light.

Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing about, and hopefully seeing pictures, of the end result.

o

Calicokitty.....I will surely post my dyeing results, but it won't be for a while...sounds a good fall/winter sort of project. Right now I'm trying to finish up a summerweight quilt, and am knitting a jacket. This will be the first one I've made in pieces - everything I've done before has been 'in the round', and I've always felt that I need, for some reason, to knit something in pieces, too. Don't ask why...it's as if I'm not REALLY knitting.. I know that's silly and am fairly sure I'll be glad to get back to knitting in the round after I get this out of my system! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here