Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
questrist

yarn for dishcloths??

Carol_Ann
16 years ago

I decided to knit a couple of dishcloths just for fun... when I looked at several patterns, they all called for worsted weight cotton. I only went one place but all they had in worsted weight cotton was yarn in baby colors -- pale blue, pink, yellow, and white. Not interested in those colors for a dishcloth. What yarn do you use, and where do you find it? Is an acrylic-cotton blend ok? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

Lion Brand makes Kitchen Cotten, which is worsted weight. I get it a Michaels or WalMart, it seems to me. Been a while since I bought any.

• lawmar
    16 years ago

I use that Sugar and Cream cotton yarn from Lily. Comes in a whole bunch of colors too. Anyways, I have always used that and it's great! Lately though, I have been knitting some pot scrubbies and just using up some acrylic yarn that I have a tubfull of and it works great for those!! They fit right into the palm of my hand and the acrylic yarn is great for scrubbing!

• wantoretire_did
    16 years ago

The Sugar and Cream (or Peaches 'n Creme) small balls are sold at WM and AC Moore here. WM has the large cones as well, but AC Moore has a few more vivid colors.

The website below has a fantastic selection, tho I haven't ordered from them yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotton worsted yarn

• rwisniew
    16 years ago

Carol Ann,

Hi! I have used both, but I prefer Lionsbrand's kitchen cotton, but if I remember correctly Lily's has more color selection. I order on-line at Joann's .com

Sherri W.
    SW Minnesota

• profsusan
    16 years ago

I have been lucky to purchase LionBrand, Peaches & Cream and Sugar & Cream at AC Moore, JoAnn and Walmart. Our JoAnn closed but a Michael's is supposed to go there so we'll see what they have. I find they all work fine. I've purchased both from the 2.5 oz size to the 16 oz spool. I generally select colors that match my dish towels/kitchen so they can be thrown in the same wash. I avoid colors that are too light since they get discolored too easily with all the food stains.

• Carol_Ann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, everyone... for whatever reason, our Michael's only had the baby colors in worsted weight cotton, one brand, and that was it. I found a little more selection at JoAnn's and love the selection on line. If I decide to do very many, I'll definitely order that way. Thanks again!

• BarbaraNY316
    15 years ago

I have quite a bit of the cotton cord that you are talking about. Get in touch with me by email and use the subject line Cotton Cord. I live in South Carolina, North Myrtle Beach.

• gabriell_gw
    15 years ago

I've made a number of dish cloths and always used left over yarn. Every type I've used has worked well.

• kayrita
    15 years ago

I use sugar & cream for making my dishcloths. But I am looking for something different. My Aunt who just passed away made a couple of dishcloths for my Mom. They were made out of something that seems to be a cross between sugar and cream and a brillo pad (light on the brillo pad). I have searched everywhere and seem to find anything like it. Does anyone have any suggestion? I would love to find this stuff. It doesn't stain, doesn't hold odors, and does a little scrubbing and washes out well just in your dish water. Help, any one???

• damascusannie
    15 years ago

They are making some yarns with steel wool in them--is it a cotton/steel wool blend? I found the website below that usually has some (out of stock right now.)

Here is a link that might be useful: stainless steel/cotton yarn

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Kayrita, you might try getting a yard of nylon netting at the fabric store and cutting it into 1-2" strips (you can tie the strips together with a knot, or, I zigzag or serge the ends together to make one long strip) and crochet or knit with the strand of yarn and the strip of netting held together as one. Just do a small piece that you could use as a scrubbie to see if it's similar to what you want.

Tami