Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbee_gw

Needs Sock help

msbee
15 years ago

What's the best way to get started? Pattern? Needles?

I can do all the basics.

I know it's time for me to take off the training wheels and take the plunge.

My Michaels has the Lion and Red Heart sock yarn.

Please point me in the right direction

thank You!

Comments (8)

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Remember, this is just my opinion. Others will surely have different opinions. Although I have been knitting for 40 years, I did not even attempt socks until a few years ago. I don't why, but I was just so intimidated by the mere thought. I started out by using a pattern that was a sock pattern, but using worsted weight, so they were more like a slipper or bed sock. That way they got done faster and I got to try all the techniques used in sock making. And guess what I found out? They aren't as hard as I thought they would be! I'm sure you can find a pattern online for this type of sock, but if you like, I will share the one I used if you send me an email with sock pattern in the subject line. I'll be home sometime this evening and will get it to you then. Good luck. You CAN do it.

• tami_ohio
    15 years ago

Socks are EASY! My first project was a dish cloth, the second a baby sock, the third an adult pair! If you don't mind working on small things, baby socks will quickly give you all the parts of knitting socks in a short period of time. I haven't tried working socks in worsted weight, tho my basic sock pattern gives me three weights to work with.

As to needles, I use size 2, my pattern calls for size 3. It will depend on YOUR gauge. This is for sock weight yarn.

For yarn, I have not tried the Red Heart or Lion brand sock yarns, so I can't comment on that. It should be fine. There might be a basic sock pattern on the label.

You can always ask here if you have any questions.

Join the sock fun!

Tami

• liza070831
    15 years ago

Google Silver's sock tutorial- It will explain everything you need to know about knitting socks, and join fellow knitters at the knittinghelp forum.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Socks aren't hard at all if you know how to follow a pattern. I think you just need some nice wood or bamboo double pointed needles, rather than metal or plastic ones, as the wood seems to hold onto the stitches better. I have used Lion Brand Magic Stripe sock yarn and their pattern too, as well as other patterns. Like Tammi, I found I had to use a few needle sizes smaller to get the gauge. Someone mentioned just making a first sock with worsted and larger needles just to get the idea of it all, so I did that at first. I like to make baby socks and add an eyelet row at the bottom of the ribbing to make tiny newborn size booties and thread a chained yarn tie through the eyelet. They go nice and fast for beginners.

• socks
    15 years ago

You must try socks as they are a lot of fun. I agree with all the advice here, especially starting with a worsted wt. yarn so you are finished quicker. Also the best yarn to use is a wool blend. I used Wool Ease for my first pair of socks.

Not to scare you or discourage you, but I am a slow learner and had a lot of trouble getting going with socks. I went to my local yarn store for help in their walk-in class. I also used tutorials online and purchased a DVD. But now I've got it figured out and really enjoy socks. They are so portable, and you end up with a beautiful, useful product.

These sources were helpful to me:
    socknitters.com
    knittinghelp.com
    societysocks.com (DVD)

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• msbee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have the directions from the Sock Ease yarn and Silver's Tute. It all looks very do able.

EXCEPT - I feel like I am all thumbs. And the needles are so small and slick. So off to swatch to get in the swing of things.

Wish me luck

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Metal double pointed needles are too slick IMHO. That is why I suggested using wood or bamboo. And I like to use the shorter dpns for socks as it doesn't feel as awkward with the shorter ones. Keep the dpn you are knitting with above the other dpns for knitting comfort.

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

You can also try two circular needles to knit your socks. That is how I do it and is very portable, no needles falling out! I knit from the toe up.

Rebecca

Here is a link that might be useful: knitting socks with circulars.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company
More Discussions