Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another dishcloth yarn question -- help!

Posted by carol_ann (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 07 at 9:52

I found some Peaches and Creme yarn, and some Sugar and Cream, and bought some... have finished one dishcloth and am halfway through another. Then, in looking at dishcloth patterns on the internet yesterday, I notice one pattern (out of all the dozens I've looked at) mentions that cotton will shrink and therefore you need to knit loosely. NOW they tell me :) But the same article mentioned that some cottons are pre-shrunk.

I can't find any info about pre-shrinking on the labels of the two kinds of yarns I bought so I guess I have to assume they aren't pre-shrunk?

Have any of you worked with these yarns and had them shrink much after washing the finished project?

What do you do -- do you shrink the yarn before you work it, (and if so, how?!), or do you knit loosely?

I wanted to make some cute spa cloths (ok, washrags) :) for gifts but don't want to give people something that's going to shrink and look funny after.

Please advise! Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another dishcloth yarn question -- help!

Hi Carol_Ann, I have made hundreds of dishcloths. I use both of the yarn brands that you mentioned. Yes, they do shrink, but that's just fine. They look great even a little smaller. In fact I think the size is better once they have shrunk. I give them to people before I wash them. The ones I keep, I wash, then throw in the dryer. They are good for a long time, then they go in the rag bag. Below is my favorite site for dishcloths. Just put your cursor over the name of the dishcloth and look for the picture in the center blank square. I hope that helps.

o
Here's the site...

Oops, I forgot to link the site:

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting Boutique

o

Thanks so much for the information -- I'll see how my first one looks after washing but I'm encouraged that I don't have to make a lot of adjustments! And thanks for the website -- lots of great patterns :)

o

I find the dish cloths stretch when using, so I always make them smaller - I don't want a big floppy dish cloth to deal with.
When put in the wash and dryer I guess they do shrink, but stretch back out again when using.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here