Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivamae_gw

Lapghan Pattern question

ivamae
11 years ago

I have been knitting and crocheting lapghans for nursing home wheel chair persons.

I prefer to crochet but every pattern that I have, does one row at a time, so has fringe. Although I make the fringe very short so it doesn't get caught, I would like to find a pattern that I could crochet round and round or back and forth., and one that is not to complicated. Any suggestions?

I have tried granny square but it leaves too many " holes" in between the double crochets. Is there a way that I could start the first couple of rows of a granny square and then just double crochet all the way instead of having the chain spaces in between? How would I do the corners? I'm really open for all suggestions.

I was given a pattern that I like for knitting. It must be very old but I hadn't seen it before. Apparently it was from a book of Prince Charles Layette.

Thanks everyone.

Comments (13)

• tami_ohio
    11 years ago

Ivamae, email me please. I think I have a pattern that will work for you. It's for a hot pad, but just keep making it bigger.

Tami

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

Ivamae, here's a link to the Never Ending Blanket Square free pattern. Starts in the middle and you can make it any size :-) I've made lots of them for the hospital maternity ward.

Here is a link that might be useful: Never Ending Blanket Square

• ivamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much. That is exactly what I have been looking for.

• ivamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am trying this, wantoretire, and it is going nicely. I am using a 3.75mm hook and it is lying nice and flat. It is helping me get rid of some small amounts of yarn, too,

Thanks so much

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

Be careful ivamae - it's addictive :-)

• wantoretire_did
    11 years ago

Ivamae, I just realized your hook size (F). What type of yarn are you using? I think I use a J or K with RHSS (worsted weight acrylic). I think that would go a lot faster :-)

• ivamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, that would go a lot faster I am sure, and next time, I may do that. I'm just using odds and ends of what I have. Some is worsted weight and some is sports yarn. It looks all right so I'll continue the same on this one. Another one, I will probably try the larger needles.
    All the best and thanks.

• acraftylady
    11 years ago

Here is a deluxe lap robe pattern if it will work for you. You don't finish off anything you just drop one color and pick up the next, love this kind of afghan so I have no ends to weave in. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Deluxe lap robe

• camper53
    11 years ago

Hi, I'm thinking of doing the lapghans too, maybe taking baby blankets, the smaller ones and using "adult" colors instead, smaller, no fringe. d

• PlantsAndYarn
    11 years ago

The Never Ending Blanket Square is a nice pattern. I have used it to make premie blankets. It works up quickly, looks nice without too many holes. If you want it longer you can make 2 squares, whip them together, then do an edge around them.

• elisamcs
    11 years ago

I just saw this post, so I hope I'm not too late.

I've done a number of afghans, ranging from crib size to almost seven feet, just by using two strands (off- white and a color) of worsted, a size P hook, and [single crochet, chain one]. It goes very quickly, looks great, and does the job. When I'm so motivated, I do a border around the edge.

• ivamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No you aren't too late. I used wantoretire's idea and used up a lot of small amounts of yarn and am quite pleased with it. Do you mind telling us what pattern you used? I'd like to try the large hook on another one.

• elisamcs
    11 years ago

I'm sorry to take so long to respond, but it took a while to find the pattern.

It's called the Woven Stitch: Make a multiple of 3 chains plus 3

Row 1: sk 2 ch, 1 sc, *ch 1, sk 1 ch, 1 sc*, ch 2, turn

Row 2: *1 sc in ch sp of previous row, ch 1* 1 sc in the turning ch sp, ch 2, turn

Repeat from Row 2.

With the double yarn, it goes amazingly fast. It's warm, but not too heavy.

Enjoy!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions