Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yarn?

Posted by janniel (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 08 at 6:46

I have to purchase yarn out of town due to fact we only have a Wal-Mart. My experience with acrylic yarns I buy there tends to piles. I have purchased wool yarns and like to use it as it does not pile. My next project needs a yarn that will hold up with machine washing. (worsted weight yarn) Any suggestions on what and where to order on line? Cost is definitely a factor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yarn?

Find Lion Yarn including Lion Brand Wool-Ease Yarn here at Knitting-Warehouse.com! Wool-ease is a 4-ply worsted-weight yarn that is so beloved by knitters and crocheters that it inspired an entire family of yarns. Wool-Ease is appreciated for its versatility and value. It has the feel, warmth and softness of wool and the easy care of acrylic. Its extensive color range makes it easy to design with and perfect for every project from socks to afghans. I have been able to find this yarn at Michaels and Joann Fabrics. I personally have not used this one, but have used other brands by lions. It is a great yarn, holds up well, and washes terrific. So, I hope that this helps you, good luck with your projects!!!

o

Also, do a google search for Plymouth yarns. The Encore yarn from them is an acrylic wool blend that washes nicely.

Tami

o

Thank you so much for the great information. I have seen the ads for acrylic and wool blend but was not sure it would hold up. Again thank you for taking your time and effort to answer me. Janice

o

I am using Wool-ease now for a sweater. It is a very good choice but in my area I can only find it in limited colors.

Lion Brand does have it on their site but not sure on choice of colors. I now have a order at Patternworks.com also a good place to buy yarn. They have a free catalog that you can send for too. Lion Brand also has a catalog.
Lots of choices out there but if you are like me not sure of what I want, then its time to check out the catalogs.

o

I will order the catalogs mentioned. The wool-ease sounds like what I would like. Thanks so much for the info.

o

I've had the best success with Plymouth Encore--it held up best in the wash. Lion's Wool Ease won't shrink in the wash, but the shawl I made with it pilled a lot.

Annie

o

That is very good to know. It breaks my heart to see to see all that work be covered with the little balls, not to mention the cost factor. Your information is truly appreciated. Thank you. Janice

o

Thanks for the info on Plymouth Yarn. I'll check out Encore too. I usually just hand wash my sweaters but I also hate to see all my work go to waste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here