Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
beginner knitter

Posted by kmb059 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 27, 11 at 19:12

I have only just begun knitting and am attempting to knit a slouchie beanie on circular needles. I have done about 6 rounds and the knitting is rolling up from the brim. Is this normal or should i just pull it out and start again. I am a complete novice so any suggestions will be gratefully recieved.. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: beginner knitter

Stockinette stictch does have a tendency to roll up.I don't know what to suggest.

o

Welcome to the wonderful world of yarns and needles! You will have a great time, I guarantee it.

Knitting a hat in the round is easy - no purling, a plus for those who dislike that stitch. However, without any ribbing/seed stitch/garter stitch to start the hat and help hold it on the lucky recipient's head, you will have a 'rolled brim' hat instead. They are fashionable and fun, but may not be what you wanted. Just start your hat with a few rounds of ribbing - k1, p1 (stitch count should be a multiple of 2) or k2, p2 (multiple of 4)are good ones. Or you can do some seed stitch, or a few rows of garter stitch, which done in the round would be k one round, p the next. Garter stitch and seed stitch are not as 'gripping' as ribbing, but will keep your fabric from rolling.

When you get to the decrease part of the hat, you will need double-point needles, as your stitch count will decrease and not stretch the full length of your circular needle.

Good luck with your project! And come back if you have other questions; someone will help.

o

Does the pattern picture show it with a rolled brim?

o

You may not need dpn,s you can magic loop when you get to the top

vickey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here