Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new knitter trying to figure out pattern

Posted by celizbern (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 18:56

I am trying to knit a baby sweater for my son who is due in October. I am mostly a scarf knitter and have just decided to try my hand at something else..here is my problem the pattern reads
After the work measures 12.5 cm..Shape Sleeves: Cast on 34 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows.
Does this mean to cast on stitches from another skein of yarn?? the picture of the project shows it all in one piece. It is from the book Simple Knits for Cherished Babies by Erika Knight. PLease help if you can!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new knitter trying to figure out pattern

I think you can do the cast on that involves knitting the first stitch onto the right hand needle, but you don't take the old stitch off the left hand needle. Just keep doing this till you have an additional 34 stitches on the right hand needle. I have never done a pattern with these directions. Does the pattern book give directions in the front or back of the book explaining how to do this?

o

Hmmmm, usually I see more of cast on stitches at the end of a row. Here's a website with drawings to walk you through that. I don't see why you can't use the same technique at the beginning of a row.

Here is a link that might be useful: cast on

o

I have done cast ons that way too, Donna. In the old days, when I was teaching myself what my mom had not, I just fiddled with it till I finally came up with your suggested method. (All the other efforts came undone. Simple--this method stayed put.) I have just never cast on 34 using this method.

o

I would use a cable cast-on method.

Knitting help has a good video. I linked to it.

~ Kit

Here is a link that might be useful: Basic Techniques

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here