Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
men's fingering yarn plain crew sock pattern?

Posted by sheilajoyce (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 2, 07 at 17:53

I have some black sock or fingering yarn I want to use to make some very plain socks for DS. I cannot find a plain pattern that uses only one strand of the fingering weight yarn, preferable a crew design. Has anyone got such a pattern that they have used successfully??? Is it maybe available on the internet??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: men's fingering yarn plain crew sock pattern?

KnittingPatternCentral.com is the best place to find free patterns of all kinds. You can check out their Directory for lists and lists of patterns.

Men's socks using fingering yarn (sock yarn) using only one strand can be found on their sock list-

www.knitlist.com/97gift/menssocks.htm

o

I will look. Thanks. So many sock patterns are huge, and I want to find a pattern that I can use to make men's medium size socks with my needles and yarn that I have. All my kids have inherited their dad's small feet. My sons wear the same shoe size I do--which is convenient when I am buying them slippers at Christmas.

o

http://www.princeton.edu/~ezb/sockform.html
just plug in gauge and measurements

o

Sheila, I use Ann Norling's Basic sock pattern, instructions for 3 different weights of yarn, for all my socks, men's included. I think it says to cast on 64 sts, without looking. I have a size 9- 10 shoe size, with a large ankle and calf, and cast on 72 for mine, then decrease at the bottom of the ankel to the 64 for my foot. DH wears an 11-11 1/2 and I cast on 68 on size 2 needles for both of us. You can use any basic sock pattern, as they usually call for fingering/sock yarn. Ann's pattern also give directions for sport and worsted.

Tami

o

I use Ann Budd's pattern, from The Handy Book of Patterns. It's a set of instructions with different gauges and different size feet. Pretty much all you need to do is make sure you measure the person's foot right.

I also like Wendy's basic toe-up pattern.

Both of these are formulas, rather than actual patterns, so you can decide on your own stitch pattern.

~ Kit

Here is a link that might be useful: Generic Toe-up Pattern

o

Kit,

I have heard that it is real easy to make the top row of the sock cuff too tight with a toe-up pattern. Do you have that problem? Have you worked out a trick to be sure it doesn't happen?

o

If you do toe-up, the cuff can be bound off with an elastic bind-off like Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn bind-off. Scroll down to bind-offs in the link below. This site is also great for links to other sock knitting sites and alternatives for heels and toes. Another elastic bind-off is as follows: Work 2 st in pattern (k or p), *transfer the 2 worked st from right to left ndl, k2togTBL, work 1 st in pattern*, rep from * to *. I like toe up because when you do Magic Loop or 2 circulars, you can try the sock on as you go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sock techniques

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here