Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with very heavy rug yarn?

Posted by quasifish (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 16:07

I recently inherited a quantity of yarn from my grandmother. Among it are several skeins of very thick, 100% wool rug yarn. I'd say it's resting diameter is somewhere around 3/8". I have no idea what to do with it, though it is very nice and I'd eventually like to make some type of project with it.

I searched around online and came up empty-handed. I asked my mom what grandma had bought the yarn for, and she said my grandmother had bought it back in the 50s to knit a shrug- but never got far, deciding she really didn't like the pattern after all.

Any ideas are welcome. I'm sitting here looking at this yarn and my mind is blank- I have absolutely no idea how to use it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with very heavy rug yarn?

Try to find a giant crochet hook and crochet a rug out of it. Or, if you prefer knitting, do the same with giant knitting needles. It does make good rugs.

Annie

o

Will it felt into a purse or clogs?

o

Thanks for the ideas. My cat had to go to the vet for emergency surgery, so this is the first I've made it back! He's A-OK now though.

I thought some about a rug, but am not sure that is what I'd like to do- it does seem most logical. It probably sounds silly, but I'd really like a pattern if I'm going to make a rug, and I can't find a pattern for a small rug. I make rag rugs from just about anything, so I do enough patternless rugs. I don't feel like I'm very good at feeling my way through increases.

I hadn't thought about felting it, so that's something to keep in mind.

The bulk of what she had is a beautiful grey heather. In my mind I can see a shawl type of thing- the kind that's rectangular and maybe has cables, but beyond my imagination, I don't know how to get to a nice looking pattern, LOL. And I'm not sure something like that would suit me anyway.

Thanks for the ideas, it's given me a bit to think about.

o

I suggest working a craft bag. Easy pattern with maybe a P or Q hook. I don't work wool ...allergic to it. But here is a quick easy starter bag.

Chain as many stitches you want as the width of the bag.

Now crochet in all stitches down one side of the chain and 3 stitches in the end stitch and then up the other side of the chain and again 3 stitches in the end. (with such heavy yarn do either double or triple crochet stitch)and continue to work in rounds.

Continue to work around until the bag is the depth you could use. Add a handle......and enjoy

o

Probably the vet would appreciate small rugs for in the cages in his surgery. Certainly the animals would appreciate it!

Janey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here