Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allergic to crochet thread

Posted by piasano (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 14:11

I've stopped knitting or even, crocheting because I react to something in the yarn and even, in neutrally colored crochet thread. Has anyone else experienced this? Would figuring out some way to wash the thread (or yarn) help? Could it be formaldehyde vapors causing my reactions?

Thanks to all who answer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allergic to crochet thread

I could be possible. Formaldehyde is used to treat textiles coming into the country to eliminate bugs, ect. I've never had a problem with any yarn or crochet thread myself. I don't know how you would wash crochet thread, but you can very carefully wind your yarn into hanks,tied in several places very loosely and soak in Eucalan, which doesn't need to be rinsed, and hang to air dry. Your bet bet would be to wear rubber gloves while doing this. I hope you find a solution, and even better, find out what is causing the reaction.

Tami

o
RE: Allergic to crochet thread

I have reacted to the sizing that some yarn manufacturers use. It washes out, so I always wash a yarn item before gifting it to babies just in case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here