Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new knitting book

Posted by sandra_ferguson (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 7, 09 at 14:03

I'm always looking for easy, "don't have to pay much attention' sort of patterns, and have just gotten a new Leisure Arts book called "Up the Back and Down the Front", which is just what it says...you start at the bottom of the back, knit up to the shoulders (having decreased for the arm holes), then, dividing the knitting into sides, knit (with a cardigan, both sides at the same time, with different balls of yarn...down the front, with shoulder decreases, to the bottom...knit the sleeves bottom to top, attach them to the body and then sew up the side seams of the body and the sleeves...the only seam in the sweater. He also joins the pieces in a different way, and has several other new tricks. Has anyone tried this method? If so, do you have any tips? I'm not ready to start anything right now, but when I do I'll be sure to let you all know what I think.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new knitting book

I have just noticed that the shoulders do not seem to fit well when you look at the pictures. Raglan sweaters are easy to knit too.

o

I think all the sweaters I've ever done were raglan sleeved, as the only sweaters I've ever knitted were in the round.....but I thought this looked interesting. My plan is to shape the arm hole a bit more than the instructions, to make it fit me better. I'm afraid I'm one that rarely just follows the instructions, particularly in a pattern like this one.....I almost always tweak things a bit.

o

It is good that you understand how to remedy the fit problem. That will make it perfect. How I love to avoid seams!!!!!

o

I believe the first sweater I made I had to sew up....that was in the ice age....and I then found Elizabeth Zimmermann ...After many years of her sweaters I switched to THE SWEATER WORKSHOP, which I love. But, it's always fun to try something different, and it looks simple enough (with the help of a friend, to fit the sleeve hole to fit me). If you don't like to sew together, and haven't tried THE SWEATER WORKSHOP, I'd sure recommend it...in fact, I had to buy a second copy...the original one was falling apart!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here