Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyknitter_gw

Help with a toddler knitted pattern...

happyknitter
16 years ago

Hi! Can somebody be so kind to help me interpreting the following knitting direction from a toddler knitted hoodie pattern.

it reads " Decrease row: (RS) Decrease 1 st each side as follows: For Right Side of Hood, work across to last 3sts, k2tog, work 1st; for left side of hood, work 1sts, ssk, work to end - 61 sts remain each sie. Work 1 (WS)row. Repeat Decrease Row once, then at each center edge, BO 2 sts twice, 3 sts once, 4 sts once, and at the same time, at each outside edge, B0 7 sts twice, then 8 sts once. BO remaining 27 sts each side."

I know this might be a lot to have someone help me with but I would be sooooo grateful if anyone could.

Thank you so much in advance!

becqui

Comments (2)

• msmeow
    16 years ago

Hi, Becqui - I'm not sure what help you need exactly, but maybe this will help:
    (RS)= Right side (as opposed to the wrong side)
    k2tog, work 1st means to knit 2 stitches together, then knit or purl the last stitch according to the established pattern
    work 1sts, ssk, means to knit or purl the first stitch, then do a slip-slip-knit: slip 2 stitches then pass the first slipped stitch over the second
    BO = Bind off
    You would bind off 2 stitches at the beginning of each of the next 2 rows (BO 2sts twice), then bind off 3 at the beginning of third row, 4 at the beginning of the fourth row, etc.

Does that help any? It sounds like your hood is being knitted in 2 sections simultaneously.

Donna

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

Starting with the right side facing you, do a decrease at the beginning and end of the row -- to decrease at the end, knit to the last 3 stitches. Knit 2 together, knit one, and row is finished. On the left side of the hood in that same row--the beginning of the row-- you knit one, slip the next two stitches as if you are purling onto the right hand needle, and then knit the two of them together by putting the left hand needle into the front of both slipped stitches and knitting them together. That is called a slip;-slip-knit (ssk). So you have decreased on each side of that row. Then on the next row, which is a wrong side row, just knit or purl all the stitches as you have done previously on the wrong side. Then repeat the decrease row.
    I am not sure you copied the wording and punctuation exactly. But this is what I see--
    Now you bind off 2 stitches at the center edge twice --or to put it another way, bind off 2 stitches at the center in the next 2 rows. Then you do a row and bind off 3 center stitches and the next row you bind off 4 center stitches. Every row, you also bind off 7 stitches from the edge, which would be the beginning of each row. So you have done 4 rows with internal decreases and at the start of each row you also bound off 7 stitches. Then you bind off 8 stitches at the start of the next row. Finally, you bind off the remaining 27 stitches from each side.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored
More Discussions