Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knitting & Crocheting Newbie!

Posted by tumblingtomatoes (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 10 at 12:37

Hi everyone!
I was looking up some info on gardening here on the gardenweb & just happened to notice there is a section for knitting & crocheting! Hoorah! I am a complete newbie at knitting & crocheting (my daughter wants to learn tatting over summer as well) so this is exciting! Can anyone share any beginner patterns with me (especially knitting - I have learned to cast on, knit, purl, yarn over, knit 2 together & cast off so far-just very basic stuff)? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knitting & Crocheting Newbie!

Well tumblingtomatoes--

Learn to increase and decrease and you will know 3/4 of what there is to learn about knitting. It's the combinations of these things that make a pattern. The more combinations the harder the pattern.

I suggest you browse through the yarn companies websites--Pattons, Bernat, Red Heart, and Lion Brand.
They have patterns that are printable and graded easy, medium and expert.

o

Love your screen name!!
This site has knitting instructions that will be useful--
http://www.craftown.com/knitlesson.htm
If you do a search www.google.com on search line type in
whatever you want and list will come up and just click on
what you need. There are videos showing how to do different stitches/techniques.
Hope this will get you started and good luck.

o

Check out ravelry.com. Even though this is a wonderful forum here, Ravelry is even more active. Joining is free.

As oilpainter said, Lion Brand is a good place to go for patterns. They are free (you might have to join there too). There is one scarf pattern called the The Road Scarf which would be a good practice project as it incorporates 4 different pattern stitches and you learn how to do a border to keep the scarf from rolling.

Good luck, have fun!

o

Thanks so much! I am going to check out those sites now!

o

There is another WONDERFUL site to help with knitting questions: It's called (appropiratly) Knittinghelp.

Vickey-MN

Here is a link that might be useful: knitting help

o

At a Church Rummage sale today I found a "Magic Loom". Too late I noticed that the box included no instructions. It has three different sized square metal looms and is suppose to make crocheted Granny Squares. I always seem to need instructions to do some of these things. I did a Google and a Ask search but found no help. There is no name of the company that made these on the box. I'm looking for help in finding instructions. Would appreciate any help. Thanks..

o

I also highly recommend Lion Brand. They send a weekly e-mail newsletter that always includes at least 4 patterns (usually 2 knit, 2 crochet), and their website has lots of patterns--many of those have been reviewed by people who have knitted them.

One other tip--and you probably already know this, but . . . I have learned several knitting stitches by studying videos that have been posted on YouTube. My favorite ones are by "knitwitch." Her instructions are clear, and she uses good contrasting yarn & background so you can really see the specific steps to the stitches. The best part about it is that I can pause the video whenever I want and watch it over, and over, and over until I get the stitch right!

o

If you go to youtube and type in knitting lessons..they have some nice videos to help you learn the different stitches. I learned howe to continental knitting from their website. Check it out.

o

Posieh, I did a google search for "magic loom instructions", using the quotes, and had several hits for instructions. I hope that will help.

Tumblingtomatoes, welcome to the forum! A good way to learn new stitch patterns is to make dishcloths. It's a small project to learn on, but you will learn to do that stitch, and if you don't like it, you are not committed to a larger project. And dishcloths make great gifts! Use a kitchen cotton, like Lion Brand, or Peaches and Cream, or Bernat's kitchen cotton. They wash great, and clean great!

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here