Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socks12345

light teal gender neutral?

socks
15 years ago

I want to make a baby blanket for a neighbor who is having a baby; they don't want to know if it's a boy or a girl. I have some Red Heart Soft Baby yarn which is light teal. It's kind of a pale turquoise/aqua speckled yarn. Would this be gender neutral, or is it leaning towards "boy?"

Susan

Comments (7)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

No, I think of it as gender neutral. I usually use yellow or baby mint or white when I don't know.

• socks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I use green or yellow too, but I happen to have the light teal and would like to deplete my stash a little rather than buy more. Thanks, Sheila.

• donna_loomis
    15 years ago

Susan, I think the light teal will be fine.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

I am with you, Socks. I am trying to reduce the stash I have made up of my skeins and what I inherited from my sister and a friend because I ran out of storage space. So I have been knitting up a storm just to use up what colors I have. The Baby Surprise Jackets use up all sorts of color odds and ends. I have used up a few variegated colors I stashed for years unable to find a pattern that I liked for them, but they made nice BSJs. We have new babies being planned for the next year or so, and I have a head start on possible gifts this way. The trouble with BSJs is that I really don't know how well I like the color combinations till it is done.

• profsusan
    15 years ago

I think your soft teal will be fine.

I have also used the Baby Coordinates in soft turquoise and white for a set of twins - boy & girl. I did the round ripple and did smaller stripes for the girl with a scallop border and large stripes for the boy with a reverse single crochet border. The parents use them all the time since they are coordinated yet different. There was no concern that the colors were not appropriate for the boy.

• socks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some people like to have a good collection of yarn, but what I have never seems to suit me so I buy something for the project I'm considering. And the stash never gets smaller, and sometimes it gets bigger.

My sister inherited a TREMENDOUS amount of yarn, and she gave me quite a few 6 oz. skeins of this teal, so that's why I want to use it up. She also gave me some other yarn that I'm not sure what to do with, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

I'll post a picture when I'm done.
    Thanks again everyone.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Well, Socks, then you ought to make a sweater too and a hat and booties made of the yarn to really use it up.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor
More Discussions