Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhinestones On Crocheted Leg Warmers?

Posted by moonwolf (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 29, 11 at 1:44

Hi everyone,

I'm crocheting leg warmers for my nieces, sister and my cousin for future gift giving. I was talking to my cousin earlier and said about adding rhinestones to them. She liked that idea and I wanted to ask if it would work? The yarn is regular worsted weight. Not sure of the designs yet but I'll come up with something lol. When they get washed, could they just be turned inside out? The pattern I'm following I have used before and they're the easiest leg warmers I've ever made. The rhinestones I'll just glue on with "fabric tack glue" (what it was called in a video I saw).

To quote a popular cartoon (line from the theme song) from the 80's: I think these will look "truly, truly, truly outrageous!" lol.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhinestones On Crocheted Leg Warmers?

Brad, I would hand wash them, not machine wash them, and lay flat to dry. That is usually the washing instructions on any garment with rhinestones on them purchased from a store. Have fun. I bet they will love them!

Tami

o

Thanks Tami!

I just finished the one pair today. Now I just need to go get the rhinestones.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

You are welcome! You might try a swatch with the rhinestones before putting them on the finished leg warmers, let them dry on the swatch for a week or two, then wash them to make sure they will stay on. Just a thought. Have a good Fourth!

Tami

o

That's a good idea! Thanks again! Have a good Fourth too! My cousin and sister really love the idea! They think my nieces will love them too!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Next time if you can find rhinestones that have a hole in them you could string them all on and crochet them right in. I do this all the time with scarves and beads but you must string all you need on before you start. Mary

o

Hi Mary,

I've seen the rhinestones with holes in them but they're too small for working with worsted weight yarn. I just might have to look for those next time I go to Michael's or AC Moore. I don't go there that often because they're a little far from me but I'll check them out for sure! Thank you, Mary!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Hi moonwolf,

What brand are you using for your rhinestones? You might want to buy from this store where I get mine. I'm a fan of their weekly deals. I wait for their deals for discounted rhinestones. lol. Btw, the company is Crystals R Us.

-Viky

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron on Rhinestones

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here