Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krissie55

So sad.......

krissie55
10 years ago

Apparently there is little interest these days in knit and crochet resulting in this message board becoming inactive!

This generation and future are missing out on one of the greatest arts of all times.

One of these days we may/will need to make our own clothes/sweaters, etc. again like it was done in the olden days. That may be sooner than you think the way the world is spinning these days!!!!!

Krissie

Comments (17)

• PlantsAndYarn
    10 years ago

I was wondering how much was lack of interest or how much was do to sites like Ravelry.

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    10 years ago

I really think it has more to do with the vibrant fiber community Ravelry has developed. I pop in over here every once in a while to answer questions, but this particular board is not the idea place for knitting/crochet questions since it is so general. Head on over to Ravelry - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

Yes, I agree with you. This is called the Knitting forum, and crocheters aren't even mentioned, but this seems to be the right place for us/them to post as well. We're kind of like an afterthought. Ravelry, Crochetville, and others have many categories made just for us knitters and crocheters so that everything isn't thrown into one huge pot to sort through. Don't get me wrong, I love Gardenweb, but it's focus is not on the needle arts as other sites are.

We knitters and hookers are still here, just not posting on this forum as often.

• barbarasd
    10 years ago

Another great forum is KNITTINGPARADISE.COM.It is wonderful for getting and giving help with both knitting and crochet questions. It also has a section for showing pictures of one's latest accomplishments and sections for machine knitting, selling your yarn, books, etc., and general chit-chat. It is a group of friendly, helpful members. You do need to sign up, but membership is free.

• acraftylady
    10 years ago

Crochetville is alive and very active. Mary

• tami_ohio
    10 years ago

I also think that this board has slowed down so much because for a long time, so many were just asking for patterns, not contributing what they were working on or what they had finished, ect. Asking for help is great, but constantly asking for patterns is discouraging to me. Which is why I seldom check in here anymore.

• blackgavotte
    10 years ago

I am a beginning knitter, even tho' a senior, but here in Nova Scotia, there are plenty of amazing knitters and especially quilters. I can sew on a button, but that's about it... I will check out knittingparadise to see if its more active. The problem also may be in part because some of our older ladies don't use a computer but are still very good knitters, crocheters and sewers and quilters. I go to the little knitting circle our local shop, " Hands on Crafts" in Yarmouth, holds on Thursday afternoons, and there is a lot of help and advice given freely there... a real bonus for this person with two thumbs on each hand !

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

I just found this forum today (granted I had never really looked)! I'm always on the orchids and iris forums. I'm only 24 and I do a lot more knitting, crochet and quilting than I think I had ever expected. It's not dying out, it's just staging for a comeback! I just deleted all of my pics off my phone this morning too! They're on my computer, expect some posts from me soon with what I've been up to in the last year!

• ashes_of_the_fire
    10 years ago

I just found this forum today (granted I had never really looked)! I'm always on the orchids and iris forums. I'm only 24 and I do a lot more knitting, crochet and quilting than I think I had ever expected. It's not dying out, it's just staging for a comeback! I just deleted all of my pics off my phone this morning too! They're on my computer, expect some posts from me soon with what I've been up to in the last year!

• bcskye
    10 years ago

I'm nearly seventy and knit and crochet. I'm usually on the Cooking forum, the Harvest forum and several forums devoted to growing edibles. I just never thought to come on this forum.

Haven't done a lot of the knitting and crocheting for many years, but have recently started up again (like some of my friends and relatives have) because I have 3 of the 20 qt. storage tubs full of yarn and I want to use it. I do subscribe to Knitting Daily and another email newsletter and Ravelry, but haven't been on Ravelry much. I also have a knitting machine I haven't used yet which I'm anxious to try out. Maybe this forum will pick up again. I will keep an eye on it and contribute when possible.

• sharons242
    10 years ago

I used to knit when I was much younger but then stopped because of a growing family. Now in my seventies I am starting again. A little rusty but practice will smooth out the edges. Friends are encouraging me to begin the continental way of knitting. I have always used the throwing. Don't know if these are the right terms. Are there any views on continental? It seems like it flows easily.

• Lindsey_CA
    10 years ago

The web site Knitting Help has helpful instructional videos in both the Continental as well as the English (throwing) way of knitting. I encourage you to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Knitting Help web site

• donna_loomis
    10 years ago

Lovegreen, you should knit whichever way feels comfortable to you. I can knit continental and I can throw and I use both, depending on the structure of my project. Continental is faster for me, but many people say that thowing is faster for them.

• bizabet
    10 years ago

I'm a self taught southpaw--I learned from an old reader's digest book that demonstrated both ways, and continental just seemed easier to me. I recommend going to youtube and searching for videos--you can find just about anything you need, for lefties or righties in either method. There's also a lady on there (search verypinkknits) who does something she calls 'flicking'. Never seen anything like it, but man that woman can FLY when she is knitting.

• Lindsey_CA
    10 years ago

My sister is left handed, and she crochets but doesn't knit. She wants me to help her learn, and I told her that she would probably do best with the continental method, but I use the English method (throwing), so I can't help her with that. I did tell her to check out the videos at the Knitting Help web site.

Now i'm going to have to check out the "flicking" video! :-)

• cathytx3
    10 years ago

I'm guilty of spending more time on Pinterest. I'm a beginner crocheter and am working on my first afghan. Doing it all in double crochet with a varigated yarn.

• Lindsey_CA
    10 years ago

I just checked out the "flicking" video on You Tube. That's how I used to knit years ago! I hadn't knit anything for probably 20 years, and when I started up again, I couldn't for the life of me remember how I did it before, so I've been "throwing" the yarn. I've got to start flicking again!! :-)

cathytx3, please post photos of your afghan in progress. We'd love to see them!

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia
More Discussions