Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
changing socks to toe up

Posted by love2knit (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 17:44

I want to learn Magic loop toe up, 2 at a time. So far I've done dpns and 2 socks on 2 circs, but none toe up. Most patterns I like are top down. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: changing socks to toe up

I've never done magic loop, but done toe up on two circs, and LOVE IT, the heal is kinda tricky right now (the wrap and turn confuses me a little).

Here's a tutorial:
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/2mlsocks_start.htm

Then just google TOE UP sock pattern, it's really no different than 2 circular I'm told.

By the way, I LOVE the turkish cast on rather than the figure 8 cast on, but try them both.

There was a thread a while ago, and Makoshark had EXCELLENT suggestions for two at once on magic look (I can't get the hang of two at once, I think I'll have to take a class, I get huge tangles, and just want to throw the stuff)

Vickey-MN

Here is a link that might be useful: Socks two at once

o
RE: changing socks to toe up

Vickey is right, magic loop and two circs are pretty much the same. The only real difference is that with magic loop you can't make the mistake of using the wrong "free" end and wind up with all the stitches on one of the circs. I also love the turkish cast on.

And I love knitting both socks at once. That way I don't have to count and remember to write down how many rows I did this or that on, because I just do it on the second sock right then and I know they are going to match.

I must admit the tangling isn't fun, but when you've finished a round, if you will remember to flip the needles toward you one time and away from you the next, and continue to do that, you will find you will get much less twisting and tangling.

Many patterns can be converted to toe-up with ease. Look at a photo of a sock that you like the pattern for and see if you still like how it looks going the opposite direction. If you like it, try it toe-up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here