Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
profsusan

Marilee's Round Afghan - Anyone have the directions?

profsusan
17 years ago

I have heard about Marilee's Round Afghan and it had been a free pattern on the web but the site is no longer active. Does anyone have this pattern? A picture of a finished project? I would be interested in seeing a picture and the directions.

Thanks for your help.

Comments (12)

• bubbeskitchen
    17 years ago

I don't know about that one specifically, but here is one to check out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round Blanket

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

I have several round afghan patterns. Were you looking for a knitted or crocheted one?

• profsusan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Crochet, please - haven't mastered knitting yet. I have the round ripple (thanks to you Donna) but I was looking for something different. A few of the mothers-to-be are shopping for cribs and seem fascinated by the round ones so I thought I'd look for another pattern.

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

I got a free pattern off the internet last year sometime. I can't remember the name of it, or I could run a search (I tried with crochet + round + afghan and couldn't find it). We're out of town for the weekend (yes, I still check this place when I'm not home). We'll be leaving for home in a few minutes and it will take several hours to get home. But when I do, I will look up the link for you and post it. I haven't made it yet, but it's very nice, with several textural changes - a row or two of popcorn stitches, etc.

• profsusan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks Donna. I appreciate your efforts and look forward to the link. Also thought I could look at Christmas Tree Skirts and adapt something for the center hole.

• Red_Confetti
    17 years ago

Here are the instructions for Marilee's Round Afghan that WERE on the web, but link is now broken. Hoping you know what the picture looks like! Appears to be a 12-wedge pattern.

ROUND AFGHAN - DIRECTIONS

(A variation of a pattern originally put out by Columbia Minerva)

Materials : 12 3.5 oz skeins worsted weight (1 for each of 12 wedges) and at least 3 3.5 oz skeins for border

Hook : Size J

Adult Size : Start by chaining 101 loosely.

For Baby/Child size, chain 75.

First Wedge

Row 1 - SC in 2nd chain from hook, CH 1 , Skip 1 chain, SC in next CH, *CH 1, Skip next chain, SC in next CH* to end, ending with SC. CH1, turn.

Row 2 - *SC in space, CH1, SC in next space* to end, SC in turning CH ch 1, turn.

Row 3 - Repeat Row 2 to last 3 SCís (2 spaces) SL ST in next to last space. CH 1, turn.

Row 4 - Repeat Row 2.

Continue Repeating Rows 3 and 4, forming a triangle wedge, until your last repeat of Row 2 has only a SC in space and a SC in turning CH, Ch1, turn..

Wedges 2 - 12

Change colors for the next wedge, CH1, turn.

This row picks up stitches for the foundation row of the next wedge. SC in first space, CH1, SC in SL ST, CH 1, *SC in next space, CH1, SC in SL ST, CH 1* repeat to end (point of triangle) and SC in last ST, CH 1, turn.

Starting with Row 2, repeat the same as for Wedge 1.

Continue in pattern until all 12 wedges have been completed. End off.

Sew seam between 1st and 12th wedges.

Border

Beginning anywhere, attach yarn, and SC, CH 1, SC, CH1, around entire afghan border, join with slip stitch, CH1, DO NOT TURN.

Rows 2,3 - SC in SP, CH1, skip SC all around - join with slip stitch.

Row 4 - Increase every 5 stitches by doing 2 (SC, CH1) in one space. Join with slip stitch, CH1, do not turn.

Row 5 - 9 - Repeat Row 2.

Row 10 - Increase every 8 stitches.

Rows 11 -13 - Repeat Row 2.

Row 14 - Shell Stitch. Starting at first SP, SC, skip a SP, 5 DC in next SP, skip a SP, 5 DC in next SP around, join with slip stitch, end off.

Weave in all ends. Draw the small hole in center of the afghan tight by drawing yarn through each stitch and pulling tight - tie off - weave in ends.

=========================================================

And below is a link to one called "Round Baby Blanket," also in crochet. Pattern says it is actually a hexagon, but looks round.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round Baby Blanket - Crocheted

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Susan, I found the link. On the way home tonight I remembered that it was called "Skipping Stones".

Here is a link that might be useful: Skipping Stones

• profsusan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks for the detailed directions for the afghan - when it mentioned the Columbia Minerva pattern of color wedges, it triggered a memory and off to the attic I went. I have the original Columbia Minerva pattern for the 60" color wheel of 14 "wedges" - also 2 other patterns when the brochure was .35 - with these directions, I won't have to think about changing it for a baby

Thanks Donna for the link to Skipping Stones - this will require an adjustment since I don't want to use chunky yarn. I like the texture and may even do that in another color.

I'll let everyone know (see) how things work out when I get to these projects. Wanted to have the directions ready for when I get to them - it may not be until Fall.

Thanks again to everyone.

• donna_loomis
    17 years ago

Susan, I have several different round baby blanket patterns. I don't know how to send attachments with email through the forum, but if you send me an email (so I can see your email address) I can send some to you.

• miranda_joy
    13 years ago

I realize this was from several years ago. But today as I was searching for round and star afghans this appeared in my search. I was able to run across the Marilee's pattern I believe you were originally looking for. So I'm posting it today just in case someone in the future might also need it.

http://web.archive.org/web/20051029054219/www.busy-fingers.com/marileeround.htm

• Janey - formerly jane2
    13 years ago

Many, many thanks Miranda!
    Much appreciated!

I quite like the pictures of that afghan - now if I could only find the time!

• maryrose58
    13 years ago

http://users.jett.net/pata1/marileeround.htm that's the link to marilee's round afghan ... i'm there right now and the link is fine ... i've saved the pattern if you can't get to the link

Here is a link that might be useful: marilee's round afghan

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia
More Discussions