Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pris_gw

Looking for out of stock yarn

pris
13 years ago

I just spent the morning searching online for a source to buy a couple of skeins of yarn to finish a project. I've gone to the brand site and at least a dozen others and all sites have it listed but out of stock. Does anyone have a specific site they go to for this type of problem? All I have left to do on this project is the edging. I could use a contrasting color but would rather not. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Pris

ps I'm making this for my dil's birthday coming up on 7/2 and not sure that putting it on backorder will get it here in time.

Comments (12)

• socks
    13 years ago

Here's a list of groups connected with Ravelry that sell or trade yarn. Maybe someone there has what you are looking for. (Did you post over there already? Your question seems familiar.)

Also if you go to Ravelry's main page and type in your yarn, something might come up. I'm not sure how all that works. You might have to join Ravelry if you aren't a member.

Did you try ebay? What is the yarn?

Here is a link that might be useful: Stash groups

• pris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Socks,

Thanks for answering. No, I haven't asked this particular question before and I haven't joined Ravelry yet. I've been hesitating because it's another name and password I'll have to remember. lol. I quess I'll have to break down and do so as I hear you guys mention it so often.

I bought this when the local KMart went out of business, oh, I don't know how many years ago. I had a project in mind when I did but never got around to it. It's not the softest grade of yarn but it was on sale and I couldn't resist. I finally found this pattern and thought it would be a great BD gift for my dil. Thought there would be just enough but I'm about a skein or a little more short. As it turns out there was just enough for all the squares and what I needed to put them together but not enough to finish it off. It's Red Heart Classic brand Eggshell 111.

I'm going to try another search on discontinued yarns and see if anything pops up. Although, I don't think it's discontinued as it's still listed on most of the sites I've been able to find so far. I'll let you know if something turns up.

• socks
    13 years ago

Here's a link to someone who says she has a yarn that seems like what you are looking for. I've emailed her to confirm she has it and see if she wants to sell or what. I'm fairly new to Ravelry myself, so I'm not certain how this works.

Does this yarn have a die lot? If so, it could be slightly different.

See the link below. Hope it works.

Here is a link that might be useful: yarn

• socks
    13 years ago

I found more on ebay. Below is a link to one. Do you shop on ebay?

There is at least one other person selling it. They are both "top rated sellers." But I do worry about the die lots making a difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: yarn

• acraftylady
    13 years ago

I second e-bay, get a lot of older yarn and books there. Put what you want in your e-bay favorites and every time somes comes up for auction you will get an e-mail. Mary

• pris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Ladies,

I'm going to check all of these out and I'm sure I'll find something. I already have one bookmarked that will special order it if I can't find it elsewhere. Maybe I'll be able to finish this project in time after all. Thank goodness it does not have a dye lot #. This is the just the greatest go to place when you get stuck.

Thanks again, Pris

• jjknitter
    13 years ago

check www.herrschners.com since they call all Red Heart Yarn. I just looked at site and still listed.
    Good luck.

• pris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for all the good info. I found three places with it in stock and eeny meeny miny moed it to choose which to order from. Just got the shipping confirmation ahd they should be here tomorrow.

• acraftylady
    13 years ago

What site did you find it from? Mary

• acraftylady
    13 years ago

I just realized something something, why didn't you just order it right from red heart? Eggs shell one 111 is listed? Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: red heart

• pris
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That was the first site I checked and it was out of stock. I checked a dozen or more sites that came up when I googled the brand and description. I later tried "out of stock or discontinued" and came up with a couple of sites that had one or two skeins available. I finally got it from a site recommended here. I think three of them had enough available that I felt safe in ordering and being sure to get them.

Afghan is finished. Hooray! In plenty of time for the BD girl. Thanks to everyone again.

• acraftylady
    13 years ago

Oh ok I don't see where it says out of stock at red heart, do you have to get so far in the ordeirng process before it says that? Mary

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions