Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
washing instructions

Posted by sandra_ferguson (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 10:12

I'm knitting a baby blanket out of a boucle...88% acrylic, 12% nylon, and the washing instructions aren't written, but in some sort of knitting hieroglyphics, most of which I don't understand.
...the first, I get...a hand in water in a container = hand wash
the second is a triangle shape with an X through it...wha?.
the 3rd is a square box with a - in the middle of it...?
the fourth, is what appears to be an iron
It then says wash with similar colors...(doesn't one usually wash things separately by hand?)
I always like to include washing instructions with whatever I make and send, but may just have to send the pictures from the yarn packaging and let HER figure it out!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: washing instructions

Sandra, you have the first one correct. Second is: don't machine wash. Third: don't machine dry. The iron is for ironing instructions. It either has an X thru it or a temp setting. Yes one usually hand washes things seperately, but they're covering their butt! I like to include washing instructions also. Sometimes I send the label, sometimes I send label and written instructions!

Tami

o

I may be wrong here because I have only seen these symbols a couple of times.
But I would say that the Triangled X means no bleach
and the Square with line means warm water.

I too am now curious. Anyone?

o
RE: washing instructions update

Thank you Tami for the true meaning. I know have this info written down for the next time I do come across it. :>)

o

google yarn washing/maintenance symbols. That's where I found them.

o

Check this site out for what the symbols mean:

Here is a link that might be useful: symbols

o

Donna-

I was about to go Googling when I clicked on your message with link. Thanks! I printed that out for future reference. The symbols make sense once you know what they mean, then a few years later I'm scratching my head wondering what a triangle with an X through it means. I'll keep this with my needles/hooks. Hmmm, probably should keep a copy in the laundry room too.

-Babka

o

Thanks a million, girls...I knew someone would know..so, hand wash, no chlorine bleach, dry flat and warm iron (I completely missed the one dot on the iron, vs two or three dots! (would you think it'd be okay to put into the washer to spin out the water = less drying time?)

o

Sometimes a washer spin will distort the item, depending on the type of yarn. Something that would probably be safer would be to roll it up in one of those microfiber cloths, squeezing it as you go. Don't twist it, just squeeze the roll.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here