Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have to learn how to make a swatch

Posted by vickey__mn (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 7:44

Believe it or not I have never learned how to make a swatch to gauge my knitting. But I need to. I joined Socks for soldiers and they are REALLY picky on how their socks are made, so I need to swatch at first to see which needles I need to use to get the right gauge. So can somebody tell me how to swatch or find me directions?

Vickey-MN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have to learn how to make a swatch

Vickey, swatching is easy, just not what we want to do, because we want to get right to the project!

Cast on about 20-30 sts. follow the pattern directions on what sts they want you to use to get gauge. For socks like that, probably stockinette st. If you are doing them in the round, it might be a good idea to do your swatch in the round. Are you using yarn and needles that you've used in the past for socks? If so, you already have your swatch, just measure 4", count the stitches in 4" and divide the total by 4. Otherwise, knit the cast on 20-30 stitches until you have at least a 4" swatch. Then measure it as above. If you have more stitches than the guage says, go up a size and try again. Less stitches, go down in needle size and try again. Did I make sense to you? Hope I helped.

Tami

o
RE: I have to learn how to make a swatch

And the nice thing is that if you do have to change the needle size, no need to cast on again, just switch needles and continue. Seems obvious, I know, but not to me when I was first learning - LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here