Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Slip stitch at cardigan front edges??

Posted by marvel (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 07 at 0:53

I want to start over (my dropped stitch repair is too noticeable...rats!) on a top down baby cardigan and remembered a trick I learned from the woman who taught a class on the traditional zippered Mary Maxim sweaters. BTW, I made a Snoopy & a Bambi size 4 & 6. It wasn't in the MM instructions. She had us slip the first stitch on the center front edges making a neat, clean edge. It's been several years, and I'm wondering if any of you do that in a pattern with buttonholes, and recommend this. Please, refresh my memory if I'm mistaken and there is more to this than simply slipping the first stitch, but I'm sure that's all it was. Since I'm starting over, I'd like opinions and/or corrections if I might be forgetting? Those edges really looked nice compared to this pattern not doing that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Slip stitch at cardigan front edges??

I usually do this for sweaters and scarves. it does make a neat, smooth (instead of ridgey) edge. I do it like this: with yarn in front, slip 1st stitch purlwise.

o

Always do this. On sweaters and scarves. Gives a wonderful edge. I know I'm repeating the previous poster, but wanted to re-emphasize how nicely this turns out.

o

Thanks, I have restarted the baby sweater and you are so right...it looks so much nicer. Thanks again, both of you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here