Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for an easy sock pattern

Posted by kickypants (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 07 at 23:30

I've never tried knitting in the round or working with dpns, so I'm looking for an easy sock pattern that won't completely discourage me. I would love to try though! I saw sock yarn and a cool little pattern book in a little shop in La Conner Washington, but haven't found any patterns or yarn at Michael's here in the Vancouver, B.C. area. I didn't even take down the name of the book or yarn (silly me). I just think that my daughter would love some unique socks ...plus they make a nice portable project! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for an easy sock pattern

Here is a good place to learn, http://www.royea.net/sockdemo1.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Socks 101

o

For your first socks, try a heavier weight yarn like DK or worsted instead of sock yarn. Bamboo or plastic DPNs work better because they have more grip on the yarn than metal ones. If you find DPNs too fiddly, there are other ways using 2 circulars or 1 long circular and the magic loop method (my favorite). Do a Google search amd you'll find plenty of resources and pattern for sock knitting on the web. It's addictive and good for a carry-along project.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sock tutorials

o
RE: Looking for an easy sock pattern OT Kickypants

Waving across the strait to you from Vancouver Island. I'm waving my knitting at you! Budster.

o

CHERBO: I can't believe that I didn't check the internet...I am the Queen of looking up stuff!! I had a scan through Socks 101 and I think it will be a great help. Lots of good pictures to go along with all those confusing instructions! Thank you!

o
Donna

Thank you so much for taking the time to send the pattern. Car keys are in one hand and my wallet is in the other! Yarn aisle here we come!

o
threejsmom

Ahhhhhh....more good advise! I'm glad that there are so many techniques!

o
Budster

Budster, I can't quite see you through all of this rain!! Perhaps if you yodel.... hee hee hee!
Preparing the dingy and oars for the "great flood"....hmmmm...if I sharpen those oars a bit, I could knit with them!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here