Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amoqltr

horrilbe experience

amoqltr
16 years ago

Hi All, I just had the worst experience in a yarn "design studio" in Clark Summit, Pa. I'm so upset with the confrontational attiutude of the owner. I just asked for clarification with the knitting instrucitons from a book I purchased(along with yarn) in her studio and she went off on me. I'm wondering did I overstep the boundaries by asking her for help? When you purchase a pattern and yarn at a studio and have a problem with the pattern, where do you turn for help? AMO

Comments (12)

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

You might try asking here--and finding another local yarn store. What is the exact of the wording that is causing questions?

• amoqltr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sheilajoyce, the left front directions start with seed stitch for 2 1/4", place 9 sts at front edge on a holder, change to larger needles, set up pattern and follow chart. I'm okay with that, the pattern doesn't mention those 9 sts on the holder until you get to the finishing. Where it tells you to pick up the 9 sts from the holder and work in seed st straight up until the edging reaches the first decrease at the neck edge, place maker on the inner edge. Now increase 1 st on inner edge(next to garment) every other row, etc....my question is...how do those 9 stitches get attached to the sweater? Does that make sense? Thanks in advance for any help....AMO

• Carol_Ann
    16 years ago

I can't help you with the directions, but I would say, if the owner of that shop has that kind of attitude, find another shop if at all possible. I'm still in the learning stages and the two shops I frequent both have owners that are more than willing to help with instructions; in fact, one, in particular, has chairs and couches so you can sit down and knit and get advice as you go along, if you like. The forums here are terrific and I love all I've learned from them, but I expect the shops I buy from to *want* my business and be willing to help me when needed as well. For crying out loud, if I buy yarn and books and patterns, I figure they should be willing to spend a few minutes clarifying things that are confusing! I wouldn't support a shop that doesn't support me. I haven't had to ask for much help from them but I've always been pleased with their friendliness and encouragement, and felt very welcome, and I appreciate that.

Just my 2 cents. I'll get off my soap box now :) Good luck with your project and directions!

• budster
    16 years ago

If she is the owner of the studio then I would definately never return.....if she is a clerk I would talk to the boss. I have yet to have such an experience in a yarn shop, we have two very good local ones (this is a small town) and both offer help with any problems you run into. Both have given me copies of patterns - and told me needle size used and suggestions for wools at no price. I have dropped into them and just looked around and admired some of the handiwork. No pressure, and always gracious to me as a customer. I would never darken their door again.

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

It sounds like you are knitting the border/edge separately although I don't know why you'd need to do that, rather than knitting it along with the rest of the garment. If you need to attach it, knit the edge piece to to last stitch closest to the garment (it's easiest to knit a narrow piece with double pointed needles). Slip that last stitch purlwise onto your right needle. Using your left needle, pick up the end stitch on the main piece, place the slipped stitch back on your left needle and knit the 2 stitches together. This is easiest if you slipped the first stitch on your main piece every right side row.

Is this a pattern that's unique to the store? If so the owner should be willing to help you out but in any case she should not have treated you the way she did. You are a paying customer. What is her return policy? If the yarn can be returned (usually patterns or books cannot), I'd do that pronto and let her know why you are doing it. Some stores charge for help with the actual project but it sounds like you were just asking for clarification. One yarn store near me has the most opinionated and rude owners and I have gladly taken my business to stores in other towns.

• amoqltr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi threejsmom, I appreciate your help and your method does makes sense. Thank you so much!! She has a NO RETURN POLICY and I knew that before I made my purchase. I'll be more careful next time. I'm wondering now that you mentioned some stores charge for help with the actual project if that was her main goal. Thanks again for your help. AMO

• sheilajoyce_gw
    16 years ago

What size needle are you using to make the rest of the button or buttonhole band? If you are using the smaller sized needles, I don't think it will work to pick up a stitch from the edge of the main piece only because that piece was worked with larger needles, and you will have fewer rows on the main piece than on the button band. I am guessing that the directions would expect you to sew the band onto the front edge. What a mess. Why not have you pick up a certain number of stitches from the front edge and then do the band in seed stitch?

• amoqltr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hi sheilajoyce, there is a bottom band of seed stitch using a size 7 needle, then the body of the sweater is done using a size 9. I'm thinking they want the seed stitch to run in the same direction that is why they tell you to put 9 stitches on a stitch holder then go back to them with the smaller needles. I don't like the idea of doing the band after having the front of the sweater done, I think I'll just do it with the larger needle, what do you think??? AMO

• threejsmom
    16 years ago

You can just do it in way that makes the most sense and is easiest. Sheilajoyce is right - with smaller needles, it would be hard to get the edge band and sweater front smooth (my knitting brain was in shawl mode and I was thinking about attaching edgings). It would be neater to pick up the stitches along the main gartment edge and knit if you don't mind that the stitches don't run in the same direction as the bottom edge or sew the edge on separately. However, you mention that you continue knitting when you get to the neck so you'd have to modify that part..

• Dash2
    16 years ago

It's was written that way, assuming the band border should be made with the same size needle as the bottom border. In my experience, it doesn't matter.

I ignore that sort of direction. I knit the first nine stitches in seed, or whatever is called for, then knit the body stitches in pattern.

If you're determined to follow the directions as written, then you work whip stitch the band to the body when you're finished.

When I reach the point where I will cast off for the neck, that is when I put the stitches on a holder. Finish off your fronts. When you put the sweater together you will then pick up the stitches from the holders and the necessary amount of stitches for the neck.

That way you don't have to worry about sewing the band into place and you don't have so much extra knitting when your main pieces are finished.

If you want to make it a button band, then hand stitch a length of grosgrain ribbon to the back of the bands. That holds it in place and compensates for the larger size needle. I then make buttonholes right through the knitted band and the ribbon, on the sewing machine.

I finish most sweaters with a zipper, especially for little ones who have so little patience for fidgeting. This way you just zip them up and go.

• amoqltr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yarnover, great idea, thanks!! And it does sound like it's the easiest way to do the seed stitch band on the front of the sweater. I've never attempted to do buttonholes through a knitted garment, do you put the grosgrain ribbon next to the feed dogs? Thanks so much for your help. AMO

• Dash2
    16 years ago

Yep. Ribbon down. Don't rush it through. It works out fine.

Sponsored
More Discussions