Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb16_gw

joining granny squares-HELP

Barb16
12 years ago

2 problems:

1. I made 2 rows of single crochet around each granny square, but now the corners are rounded. I was going to whip stitch to put them together but I am afraid it will not lie flat because of the rounded corners.

2. Granny squares not the same size (made with 2 different size hooks) Another row of single crochet around the smaller ones may make them too big. Maybe try another 1/2 crochet? What to do about rounded corners!

Comments (4)

• dowlinggram
    12 years ago

The rounded corners are fine. Just don't join right to the corner just go as far as you can so it lies flat and you'll have a four sided star where the corners join.

I suggest you sort your squares into large and small squares. Lay out all the small ones into a square or rectangle whichever your finished afghan is going to be and then do the larger ones on the outside. It might help if you lay them all out on the floor like a finished afghan. When you have a good arrangement take each row and pile them one on top of the other now string them together with a strand of yarn and attach a piece of paper with row 1 on it or use different colored wool for each row and then mark color and row number on a paper.

This way you'll know exactly which row goes where. Sew one row together and then another and then sew the 2 long stripos together

• rosajoe_gw
    11 years ago

I'm making granny squares too and I have been trying different methods. Many of them look bad on the bad, or do not lie flat.

I like this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: InvisibleGrannySquareSeams

• Barb16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all this info. so helpful. So I took out the sc around the edge and just made the squares bigger with the purple color. Then I did put the small ones in the middle in a rectangular shape, and attached them with the whipstitch which I think it what you described above. Then I attached the other ones just with regular sewing I guess--much quicker and stronger and better since they were not all the same size. didn't really show since it was still purple. Then I did a scalloped edge. I did a lot of blocking. I would like to put a picture of it but don't know how.

• Barb16
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all this info. so helpful. So I took out the sc around the edge and just made the squares bigger with the purple color. Then I did put the small ones in the middle in a rectangular shape, and attached them with the whipstitch which I think it what you described above. Then I attached the other ones just with regular sewing I guess--much quicker and stronger and better since they were not all the same size. didn't really show since it was still purple. Then I did a scalloped edge. I did a lot of blocking. I would like to put a picture of it but don't know how.

Sponsored
More Discussions