Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crochet Swimsuit Pattern

Posted by alaskanray (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 05 at 20:25

I am trying to find a swimsuit pattern that is NOT a bikini to crochet with instructions for larger sizes. I am currently about a women's size 24 and shrinking. If anyone here knows where I can lay my hands on such an animal, please let me know ASAP as my current suit is quickly growing on me and I will soon be out of it. The cost of a store bought suit is prohibitive for me so I really would like to find a way to crochet my own suits. Please help. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crochet Swimsuit Pattern

I searched for swimsuit patterns for you and did not come up with anything. Maybe others here will have something.

Alaskanray, being a somewhat modest person myself, it occurs to me to ask if yarn can be crocheted closely enough to provide the coverage I would want. I was thinking about sewing...do you sew? If you don't come up with anything crochet you could check that. But the yarn will cost something, so I was wondering if you could check stores like Penneys (who is always having a sale)or Target, and we have Ross and Marshall here which usually have pretty good prices.

Anyway...I know it's not much help. Good luck in your search for a swimsuit. Summer's comin'!

o

Yes, I do sew but not with a serger, which would be necessary for a swimsuit...and yes, crochet can be tight enough to give adequate coverage. I already have yarn and thread coming out of my ears so supplies are not a problem. The only thing I need is a decent pattern. Thanks for your help.

o

Well, I did find this one, but I have no idea if it is anything you would be interested in.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Swimsuit

o

Ebay has one for sell at a "buy it now" price of $1.99. I don't know what shipping is

Here is a link that might be useful: Crochet Swimsuit Pattern

o

Good find, dortycakes! That's a nice pattern.

o

you don't have to have a serger to make swimsuits. I've made some on my regular machine which has a stretch stitch. Other seams were made with a zig zag stitch over elastic.
I found knit patterns that happened to have crochet patterns at the same site. I can't remember if they were all one or two piece suits. The other thing is I don't think they explained sizes very well. Sort of a S/M/L thing and that was it. I searched on google under knit bathing suits. Good luck.

o

I wonder if a flat fell seam would be a good substitute for serging. It doesn't "give" much, but it's a sturdy seam which won't ravel or have raw edges to curl.

o

I found some patterns on :
http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/womens_swimsuits.php
and
http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/beach.php
I also bought some patterns on :

http://www.knitwhits.com/online_store/bikinis/lanikai.php

Good luck !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here