Return to the Knitting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocheting Socks

Posted by flynflower (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 19:00

All the posts about knitting socks had me wanting to learn to knit socks. I love to knit, but I'm still a beginner at knitting and I am self taught. I still want to learn to knit socks, but I'm going through a medical crisis right now and don't have a lot of brain energy. lolol. So I though hey why not crochet them. I've been crocheting for over 30 years. So I found a book at AC Moore on Crocheted Socks by Janet Rehfeldt and Mary Jane Wood. It is GREAT! The socks are so cute and look knitted! I could not believe how finely crocheted they are and the stitches are so small , I love it! And the best part is , I ALREADY KNOW THE STITCHES! LOLOLOL
I'm using a new (to me anyway) yarn called Patons stretch socks. It is superfine lightweight blend of cotton, wool nylon and elastic. 50grams a skein . I'm using the multi green and it is so pretty! Anyway, I am crocheting socks and I love it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crocheting Socks

My feet are always cold, but I bet these crocheted socks would fit the bill. They are ankle socks.

These look easy enough for people, like me, who are knitting-challenged. And the pattern is FREE.

:)

Here is a link that might be useful: Crocheted Ankle Socks ~ Free Pattern

o

Yeah for you!! Let us know how they turn out!

How are you liking the Patons stretch? I started some knit socks with it, got about halfway through and stopped. I just didn't like that yarn very much. It was too stretchy, I couldn't tell if I was keeping my tension too tight or too loose. I love the regular Patons sock yarns, just couldn't get into that stretch stuff. Maybe I'll try again though.

Be sure to post pics of your socks when you're done!
Robin

o

I also experimented with crocheted socks. Actually bought two books but Crochet Pattern Central has a good selection - depends on what you want them for. I actually made a pair of the clog socks, not for clogs but for in my winter boots since it called for Red Heart Super Saver/worsted weight. They worked well over the silk socks I have from Lands End.

Here is a link that might be useful: Socks

o

That's great flynflower! Sorry you are having health problems. It sure helps to have something fun to focus on, doesn't it? Take care.

o

I love the Paton stretch yarn and have no problem with keeping the tension while I'm crocheting. I am having a problem with the gusset in the sock pattern I am using. I just don't get it. I really wish that pattern authors would realize that people are not veteran sock makers and make their patterns clearer. I am using a pattern from the book called Crocheted Socks by Janet Rehfeldt and Mary Jane Wood. It is the first pattern called Easy does it.
I got as far as the cuff and heel and heel turn. The gusset is really throwing me . Doesn't make sense at all to me. No pictures , doesn't help at all. I went to Ravelry and asked for help, no help there either. Sigh.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Knitting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here