Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

REsults are in on latest burp cloths

sheilajoyce_gw
16 years ago

I have told you how DD liked the burp cloths I made from left over 100% cotton flannel. [We had bought packages of cute burp cloths, but they are too tiny.]

Then a few weeks ago, she told me she has just given up using the store bought burp cloths as they are too small. Since she is in a condo and uses the building's laundry, she asked for more cloths to last her longer between laundry trips. So I bought some pre folded diapers at Target, including some print diapers (Gerber), and edged them with odds and ends of left over colored and white crochet cotten thread. (You could use yarn, but it is not absorbent like cotton crochet thread -- and this kid is a dribbler.)

DD reports that these are the best burp cloths yet. Since she uses paper diapers, she did not own any good ole reliable cloth diapers, but now she has them. The old ways often work best! So from now on, I will edge a few diapers to match layettes I make for baby gifts.

Comments (2)

• socks
    16 years ago

Great idea. How did you put the crochet hook through the diaper? Did you do just a simple shell stitch?

• sheilajoyce_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I did all sorts of stitches to make edges. I used a large yarn needle with a large eye to make the perforations for the crochet hook to pass through the diaper. I would weave the needle through the edge several times, gathering the cloth edge on the yarn needle. Then I would slide the diaper off the eye end of the needle, one hole at a time, single crochet through the hole, ch 1, and then repeat by releasing one more hole over the eye of the needle. I found this method also helped me have more evenly spaced perforations along the edge.

I went around the edge with doing 1 sc, ch 1, over and over. Then sometimes I make a second row of all sc. Then I do a pattern. Shells really look good, and I made them with 5 dc -- or *1dc, ch1 4 times. I also made clusters, or a row of *1 hdc, ch2 that was sometimes my last row or a next to a last row with a row of sc and picots as the last row or shells. Or I made Vs--*1 dc in stitch, ch 3, 1 dc in same stitch, skip 3 stitches, and repeat across from *. Sometimes after the row of all sc stitches, I just did a row of 3 sc, picot all around. Picots are cute.

You have to be careful how you turn the corners and make your stitches closer together so the corner will lie flat.

Another way to make the first row was suggested by Donna. I was having trouble piercing the double sided flannel with a crochet hook, and she suggested I sew the first row in a small blanket stitch using the crochet cotton or yarn. Then I could use the bar of the blanket stitch to anchor the 1st row of sc. That works too. If I were good at embroidery, I think I would have put a small initial in a corner, not in the center where you want all the absorbancy and where stitches might be too rough when you wipe baby's face. I also launder the burp cloths before giving them away to get the sizing off the cloth diapers (or flannel) and the crochet cotton too, and I do not use fabric softener to keep the absorbancy at its best. Washing also blocks your stitches and makes the edge softer and prettier. If you want to primp it up for gift giving, you could always steam iron the edging and cloth.

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia
More Discussions